Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Walk In" cold storage conversion

Hey guys,

Something I've been toying with is the idea of an at-home butchering station. My wife's input into this idea can be discussed at a later date.

Anyway.

I'm wondering - I know a lot of folks with big leases and/or additional properties have big, walk-in style meat lockers where whole carcasses can be hung for cooling/storage. But, I don't have that kind of space, or funding. What I do have is space for a big refrigerator out in my garage. I'm curious to know if a working fridge could be converted into a serviceable short-term meat locker. I understand it's inherently big enough for a single carcass - say fully skinned, de-headed and with the shanks cut. But, working with something that size, is there any reason why that wouldn't work? Air circulation, temperature, anything?

Thanks,
    -LaS

Don't see why not, I went to a hunting ranch that used a "ice box" , the two door style like you see in front of the convenience store to keep bags of ice.

Comment

Kitchen works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
        Kitchen works fine.
        Wife: "Hey babe, I'm going to get some water out of the fridge, need anything?"

Me: "No wait I-"

Wife: "GOOD GOD!"

Me: "*truck cranks*.."

Comment

There has to be some way to modify a deep freeze thermostat to fridge temps. Then you could suspend struts/beams and hang the quarters from the struts for as long as you'd like in your garage. Like a dry aging process.

Comment

Ive seen a fridge, side by side, with all shelves removed. Eye bolt with eye inside. Guy hands his deer in the fridge, then just washes it out when finished.

Comment

There is a thread on here somewhere that someone did a refrigerator conversion on.

Comment

Working...
              X