School Me on Saltwater Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Me on Saltwater Fishing

Alright campfire friends school me on the in and outs, dos and don’ts of saltwater fishing. I’m moving from west Texas to Perdido Bay Fl. My kids love fishing but I don’t know a lick about fishing in saltwater.

From equipment to fishing from a beach and everything in between, help a brother out.

Here’s the area we are going to be living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live shrimp under a popping cork is the easiest. You’ll need a little heavier size rod and reel than freshwater though.

Comment

anywhere there is a ditch leading from one bay to another fish it on an outgoing tide. I would just drive around and watch where you see others wading. It aint hard. If I can be successful at it anyone can.

Comment

Look for saltwater gear. In my experience it does make a difference. A lot of bass sized gear will work for trout, flounder and most reds. That is what I used when I first moved here then slowly upgraded over time. However if you target bull reds or other bigger species I recommend upsizing a bit. I would also recommend checking out Pensacola fishing forum to see what the locals are doing.

Back east spinning reels spinning reels seem to be the norm over bait casters. One of the running jokes is the locals can tell you are from Texas if you break out a bait caster.

The water there is very clear. Mullet (there) are good to eat though no one does it on the TX coast.

I never fished the beach there growing up. Usually fished the piers or old bridges that were turned into fishing access. Used to love crabbing from the piers or in the bay along the shore line. The traps used off the pier were like a box but the sides would fold open when it was lowered to the bottom. We would actually watch the crabs enter the traps. On the bay shore we would us a chicken neck on a string and drag them into a dip net.

Comment

Start reading. Salt is a whole nother ballgame.
          Do a search on here, we have Saltwater threads, pages long, new one every yr.
          If your a total newbie, you can probably glean something from dang near every post.

Comment

I have fished that exact area many times in redfish tournaments. Will you have access to a boat? PM me and i will send you maps and patterns that i fished in that area. Trout, reds and flounder are plentiful. Any swimbaits on an 1/8 oz jig head will work. We threw spinnerbaits and shallow diving crankbaits at the stumps along the ICW a lot. Fish are much easier to catch in the stained Alabama water than in the gin clear stuff south of Perdido. Congrats on a beautiful area. One of my favorite places. Nothing like catching reds in creeks lines by giant pine trees.

Comment

Saltwater fishing can be a blast, you never know what your going to catch. Florida has some of the best saltwater fishing in the US. You should have a lot of fun.

Comment

Get a Hobie kayak.

Gary

Comment

If you can bass fish, you can skinny water fish. The similarities are unreal... only difference is you'll need to rinse off your equipment when you're done.

Comment

Hire you a guide for a couple of trips it will save you alot money in the long run.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X