Which scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which scope?

So I bought a Rem 700 .308 just after the season and looking to place a nice Vortex scope on it. The only deal is, which one? I have a budget around $500-$700 and would like something I could reach out with. On the other hand, I do not shoot long range hardly ever but would like to make this into a nice rifle. A friend of mine said I need to replace the stock with a custom for better accuracy. Thoughts? Anyone have any previous experience with vortex and what do you like?

If your budget is $500-$700 then you need to be lookng at a Leupold 4.5-14 IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

Yep

Comment

My last rifle scope purchase was a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 and if I had to do it over again, I'd go Leupold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Vortex has a reputation of failures when folks use them and turn turrets and shoot them more than 1-2. Not all by any means. But a lot. Ask folks about their warranty. There is a reason they know how good the warranty is lol. Do some research. Read forums. See for yourself. Lots on here speak from experience with failures too. You may get lucky. There's a lot of folks who love them. I'm hoping they fixed the issues with the new gen 2 PST.

Comment

Originally posted by zhall View Post
            So I bought a Rem 700 .308 just after the season and looking to place a nice Vortex scope on it. The only deal is, which one? I have a budget around $500-$700 and would like something I could reach out with. On the other hand, I do not shoot long range hardly ever but would like to make this into a nice rifle. A friend of mine said I need to replace the stock with a custom for better accuracy. Thoughts? Anyone have any previous experience with vortex and what do you like?

I have a Vortex PST 6-24x50 that will fit your budget if you are interested. It has worked good for me but just don't use it.

Comment

SWFA's Sample List often has great glass cheap. Buy the very best you can afford. The Lupy reco here is a good one. There are also some deals on good Zeiss glass out there.

Comment

Thanks. Reason I was leaning towards Vortex is because I can get a large discount. So the $500-$600 budget would be significantly cheaper.

Comment

Sounds like your dead set on Vortex. If you can get this one they make for 600.00 , I would get it. https://media.midwayusa.com/producti...490/490510.jpg
                  Last edited by Radar; 05-21-2017, 07:24 AM.

Comment

This.

Comment

This is for sure the way I would go.

Comment

^^^ this

Been down both roads when I was wanting a "budget" scope. Started with a PST and ended up selling it and replaced it with a Leupold 4-14x I found on sale. Really pleased with my decision
                        Last edited by LHPanther; 05-21-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

If your rifle is currently driving tacks with the existing stock, then I wouldn't replace it unless you just want something different. The money you might have spent on a stock could be applied to your scope, or possibly a good adjustable aftermarket trigger. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by zhall View Post
                            Thanks. Reason I was leaning towards Vortex is because I can get a large discount. So the $500-$600 budget would be significantly cheaper.
                            If weight isn't an issue, and you can save up more, buy the gen ii razor. Great optic. Heavy as hell though. 40+ ounces. But built like a tank. Pro deal pricing is good. Just know they inflate the MSRP for that reason

Comment

Yeah I can get a brand new razor for 200 over 'half off'. If your le or something there's better deals to be had.

Fallen out of love with samplelist too. After taxes you can get within 1-200 on a brand new optic unless your getting into the demo c stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X