No announcement yet.

Hunting in the Freer Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, how bad was the anthrax on your Sonora lease?

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

We hunt between Freer and San Diego, south of Hwy 44. Have not encountered any illegals yet. We have a lot of deer, hogs, quail, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sotol View Post
        Btw, how bad was the anthrax on your Sonora lease?

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
        Weve lost most of the deer as far as I can tell. Im going up in a couple of weeks and check cameras again. Not looking too good from reports from other hunters on the place.

Comment

Went in a hunt in freer 2 years ago and saw more bp vehicles and no signs of illegals.. we asked about illegal activity and they said it’s pretty much non existent these days since the bp upped their activity in the area

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info

Comment

I hunted a property a few miles west of 2050 for several years before getting off a decade ago (not for hunting reasons. Just wasn't going enough after my younger son was born). The deer were fairly solid but not spectacular. Quail were better on the ranch just east of us.

It wasn't unusual to see illegals walking through trying to avoid the checkpoints in Bruni & west of Freer. They mostly stole water or booze but don't recall that they did any of that after we got a full time ranch manager. We were told by the BP that they wouldn't take weapons for fear of the intensity of the search for them that would come after.

It was a good lease, and I always wished it was just half an hour or so closer, which yours probably would be.

Comment

A friend of mine owns a HF ranch NE of town off 59. He has had them cut the fence, drive through the fence, and tear all kinds of things up. Two years ago they broke into his lodge and stole a bunch of clothes and his GMC Duramax ranch truck out of the garage. Truck was recovered in El Campo but it was a PITA. I don't believe I would leave my Ranger there.

Comment

Originally posted by DEG View Post
                  I haven’t been there yet. Going next weekend. Im on a lease outside Sonora now. We don't know how bad the anthrax got us yet. This opportunity came up this week.
                  Dennis how's the Sonora place looking? Haven't got a chance to go down there yet. Any movement?

Comment

Leave trailer unlocked don’t leave side by side there

Comment

Not really the Freer area, but buddy has a place between San Diego and Benavides. 8 miles in off the highway. Hes seen about 3-4 deer in three years. He just keeps hoping for better. Lots of hogs on game cams. I think its been shot out pretty bad back in there.

Comment

I know it’s hard for some to believe, but South Texas is poached as hard and as bad as East Texas.

Comment

Working...
                        X