• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destin tarpon fishing

We’re vacationing in Florida next week.
    Got an inshore guide booked.

Tarpon on my bucket list.
    Any insight on that fishery and my chances?
    Thanks

I Will be there too. Who you book with?

Comment

I'll be in Destin too. Small world. Haven't decided if we are getting a guide. Might rent a boat and take our chances or just wade.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
        I Will be there too. Who you book with?
        Destin Inshore Charters sepcializes in Inshore Bay, Nearshore Gulf and Kid's Fishing Trips. We can accomodate family groups to large corporate parties.

Comment

Justin Hinote +1 (850) 390-5462 catches a bunch of them around Destin.

Comment

We've been going there every year for 20+ years and have done many inshore and offshore trips. I'm not sure about tarpon, but just know that fishing there in July can be pretty hit or miss. I'd say it has been worth the money about 25% of the time.... to the point that I no longer do it when I go. Not trying to be a downer, because when it's good it can be really good. It can also be fun just getting out there if you don't do it very often.

Comment

Tagged for some info. I definitely would like to try this sometime. I know it’s definitely dependent on certain times.

Comment

Same in for info. Id like to go catch one on a fly rod

Comment

We were there the first week of June and saw tarpon cruising the beach two mornings in a row. One pod was pretty good size (around a dozen).

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
                    We were there the first week of June and saw tarpon cruising the beach two mornings in a row. One pod was pretty good size (around a dozen).
                    Cool, thank you.
                    I’m bringing my own gear, cast net.
                    I’ll be hitting the surf every morning.

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
                    We've been going there every year for 20+ years and have done many inshore and offshore trips. I'm not sure about tarpon, but just know that fishing there in July can be pretty hit or miss. I'd say it has been worth the money about 25% of the time.... to the point that I no longer do it when I go. Not trying to be a downer, because when it's good it can be really good. It can also be fun just getting out there if you don't do it very often.
                    Appreciate the honesty.

Costa Rica twice.
                    St Thomas
                    Bahia de las Ascension, Mexico
                    Honduras

We vacationed at all these places, fishing was meh in most all.
                    But I’ll be danged if I’m not gonna wet a line when I go!
                    Thanks everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                      I’ll be hitting the surf every morning.
                      Good call. Don't forget the evening about an hour before sunset. Skipjacks and bluefish often come through in the evenings and you can wear them out on a plain'ol white swim bait, or just about anything for that matter. I always keep a rod with me on the beach for when bait balls come by. Sometimes the timing is right where there aren't to many people close by.

Also, the east jetty can be a lot of fun in the evenings. We throw brass colored plugs with orange heads. You never know what might grab it. These fish are nasty, but big gafftop cats will grab that plug and wear you out on medium action gear. Just don't touch them or you'll be slimed with a stench that'll make you cry. And whatever you do, don't let'em fin you. It's terrible compared to freshwater cats.

Comment

A good friend fishes out of Mobile. He said that the tarpon hit there early this year, but they were still around last weekend. He & his son both caught good tarpon for the AL Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo. Hopefully, they haven't moved completely west out of the Destin area.

Comment

I follow a guide out of Destin on IG, and he posted a video being hooked up with a Tarpon this morning. His IG name is lionstaleadventures. I think I followed him by accident, but its cool seeing what they are catching over there so I never unfollowed him.

Comment

Patrick Tarpey with slowandlowCoastal.com is great especially if you fly fish. We had a great trip with him plus he's a Fighting Texas Aggie! ����

Comment

Working...
                            X