Ever Felt Stupid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    I was out running the weedeater in my big pen trap getting ready to trap some swine---tons of grass burrs everywhere, so I was covered with them by the time I was finished. Well, stopped on the bridge over the creek on the way out to pick them off and seemed like 9 out of 10 I'd stick myself really good. Then---I had an awakening--"Put your gloves on dummy!"

Don't know why it took me half of one side to think of this---anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?
    Nope. Never ever found myself in this type of situation.
    Attached Files

Comment

Fishy's story reminded me of something I did. I was working for a guy who was an order buyer (cattle) and he was always buying hay. Myself, the ranch foreman and the forman's son were loading round bales on a couple of flat-bed gooseneck trailers at this farm. We were using one tractor. He loads his trailer and takes off.
      I load mine (with 11 big bales) and also begin to leave the field. I had the foreman's son with me, but I don't remember why. He was about 12, I think.
      Well, I think as I'm driving out of the field to the pavement that the trailer is pulling heavy. I tell myself that I have 11BIG round bales behind me and I continue on. I drive down the paved county road for a mile or so and I'm still thinking something was odd. About that time my shotgun rider says he sees smoke behind us!
      I think "wth" and pull over. I go around behind the trailer and there is a small fire in the bar ditch. What? I look up and look back down the road and there is fire in the bar ditch all down the road behind us!
      I stomp out the little fire next to us and unhook the trailer. We had just passed a side road, so the truck and trailer are isolated from the main fire.
      What had happened is somewhere along the line a tire on the passenger side of the trailer had gone flat. No telling when, as it was a dually trailer and empty up until we loaded the hay.
      The flat tire eventually came off the rim and begins grinding on the asphalt and throwing no doubt a shower of sparks.
      Luckily the pasture next to the burning ditch was brushy with only sparse grass. The land owners were able to put the fire out, although they lost some fence posts.
      When everything settled down I went to the ranch owner with hat in hand and with a contrite heart, hoping to avoid taking an arse whippin'.
      He recognized that I was a dumb punk-*****ed kid and did not serve the knuckle sandwich.

I felt STUPID.

Comment

I've had my share of bonehead moments.

Probably 6 or 7 years ago I'd gotten a new bow right at the beginning of bow season. I went over to shoot at a friends house. After we got done that afternoon, he said he'd been seeing a decent buck behind the house and he had stuff to do, so he told me to go take a crack at him that evening. I went back there a couple hours before dark and got in his stand and began the wait. As luck would have it, the deer came out right before dark and I stuck him good.

Buzzed my buddy and told him I'd shot the buck, asked him to bring the truck/light, and then climbed down. I set my brand new bow down on the ground and walked down the field edge until I found my arrow/blood. About that time I see my friend's lights pulling up behind me and hear a CRUNCH. He hit it with both tires. Totally my fault and so stupid to lay it in the road!! He felt horrible about it but we laughed it off when we found the deer a few minutes later.

Comment

Out at Lake Amistad bow hunting for my first time ever last year. Before we left I grabbed a couple arrows and screwed my broad heads on it. My buddies watch a curl and a half mouflon walk in to about 50 yards and stand broadside. I couldn't ask for a better shot. Draw back and watch my arrow sail just over his back.

I get home and can't understand. I immediately grab some arrows with practice tips and the hit right on point. Then I realize these aren't the same arrows I took the the field. The ones I took were about 60 grams different.

I learned a lesson that day on the need to understand what equipment you are using and how valuable that first shot can be. I haven't had that good of a look at one since that day.

My buddies continually joke about how I couldn't hit the ram if he laid down at my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I ran out of gas in my old z71 because the gas gauge broke and was reading a quarter of a tank. I had a friend bring me a couple gallons of gas but when I got to town I forgot to get gas. Then when I left to go back home I saw a quarter of a tank and rolled out until I ran out of gas again. The same buddy came out with a smile on his face with a couple more gallons.

Comment

All the boat posts made me remember another one--was on Calaveras (San Antonio) with a buddy and we were headed in. I idled up to the dock so he could step off and go get the truck, but got it in reverse too soon and pulled the boat right out from under him--splash!

Guys bank fishing nearby got a laugh out of it, my buddy not so much.

Comment

Some years back I had to take my dad's new camaro back to base (San Antonio) while he took my mustang into the shop (Waco) to get the coolant system replaced. Few days later I ran out of gas on base and had to get my friend to bring me some gas. Told my dad about it and that his gas light doesn't work. He said it doesn't have a gas light.

Comment

For those of us who are old enough, it's called a "Senior Moment". We are entitled to them. After all, we have survived this long. Not sure how, but we have.

Comment

I was at my buddy lease about 80 miles from my house, well I locked the keys in my truck. my buddy and I get in his truck and drive all the way to my house to get the spare key. I walk in and explain the situation to my wife she had this look on her face and says why didn't you just call the on-star people to unlock the truck! I hate when she out smarts me.

Comment

We decided to go run our jugs on the lake at 1am instead of next morning. Had to switch trucks cause our DD couldn't drive a standard. Well it was my job to switch hitch. I had one small job to do and totally screwed it up. Just say the trailer hitch was resting on top of nut. I did however hook safety chains up thank god. Our DD was wanting to turn around at that point, but got out voted.

Comment

More times than I care to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Fooshman View Post

Ouch. Been there! Many cold morning stranded in the woods due to avoidable boat mishaps. I wedged mine between two trees on Bayou Meto one morning right next to 165 headed to my buddy's club. Quite a pickle

Comment

Originally posted by esp View Post
                              My boat ran out of gas so we decided to just use the trolling motor and drink a few cold ones along the way. It took a long time to go about 2 miles to the boat ramp. Loaded the boat on the trailer and as we were pulling out of the water realized that we had been dragging the anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              This takes the cake.

Comment

I've gone swimming for my boat on a cold cold day at Canyon lake (I was always used going with someone. I'd back it down the ramp, and they'd unload it from the trailer). About the time I tapped the brakes I realized I'd unhooked the boat and away it went. I stripped down to my undies and caught it about 15 yards out and pulled it back to the ramp. The temperature was in the low 30s, luckily I had a towel to dry off with and sat in the truck for about an hour with the heater on full blast. Once I was warm I went out and caught a **** ton of catfish that day. I don't think anyone saw any of this, if they did I'm sure they got a chuckle.

Comment

Working...
                                X