H.R.5717 - Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you all seen this bill? I highly encourage you to contact your US House Rep.

Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020

This bill makes various changes to the federal framework governing the sale, transfer, and possession of firearms and ammunition. Among other things, the bill does the following:

generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;
    • raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;
    • establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;
    • requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;
    • creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence;
    • restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;
    • restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);
    • makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;
    • requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;
    • removes limitations on the civil liability of gun manufacturers;
    • allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;
    • establishes a community violence intervention grant program; and
    • promotes research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention
    I've been told there's an amendment to add a 30% tax on the sale of firearms and ammo.

Wow that bill is quite comprehensive - they are going for it all at once.

Comment

30% on guns and 50% on ammo.. Geez

Comment

* makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;

Well let's make every bill that goes before a Congress a stand alone bill.

Comment

Is this the first bill that includes outright confiscation? The language concerning possession of “semiautomatic assault weapons and high capacity magazines” does just that.

Comment

Will they raise the ago to join the armed forces to 21? I wouldn't want any 18-21 year olds having a gun!

Comment

Because all the other gun laws have done so much to stop violence and crime.[emoji849][emoji19]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, Trump will never sign it and Senate will never pass it. At least not before Nov 3, 2020. Get out and vote! Also get all your dead relatives and friends to vote. Fair is fair ya know.

Comment

Don't take senators and reps for granted on anything. They say the biggest reason bills pass or fail is because very few people contact them. The silent majority is too busy with life to think about writing a quick note - vote for or against this bill. That's all you really need to say.

I thought for sure the US Reps and Senators would veto the Waters of the US a few years ago, but they did not muster the votes. When I specifically asked my rep about it, he said he voted against it but rather than bring it up for reconsideration, they decided to let it work itself out in the courts. Same thing with Obamacare - they could have mustered votes to veto it when Trump first took office but they decided to let it work it's way through the courts. We see how that turned out.

Comment

Impossible. I was assured by many here that if we just gave them bump-stocks, it would appease the Volcano Gods and gun control would be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                      Impossible. I was assured by many here that if we just gave them bump-stocks, it would appease the Volcano Gods and gun control would be dead.
                      Yep....

Also, believe this was trying to be passed/pushed the end of last year or the start of this year correct? Has it made any progress for those following?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                        Yep....

Also, believe this was trying to be passed/pushed the end of last year or the start of this year correct? Has it made any progress for those following?

Yes the bill was introduced in January

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                          Yes the bill was introduced in January
                          10-4 and thanks.

Comment

Wrote my notes to our local rep. This bill disgusts me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                              Not calling anyone names...But IF anyone actually thinks we can give a liberal what they ask for and them not want more then they are really really really stupid. And you can add 100x more really's to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X