Vehicle Buying Expectations- Dealership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle Buying Expectations- Dealership

Maybe it’s just me. I’ve had some of the craziest experiences imaginable buying a used vehicle.

Are my expectations unrealistic? I can’t seem to make it through this process. I’m always pre-approved.

1) Obtain pre-approved car loan with super low rate
    2) Identify potential vehicle
    3) Contact dealer, get salesman assigned.
    4) Negotiate price before arriving.
    5). Test drive
    6) Value trade-in (if needed)
    7) Close deal

CarMax, and you're done.

Comment

Yes. You are crazy if you think the process is ever going to happen that way.

Comment

You should only expect one thing when buying a car.....

Comment

With used vehicles I’ve had a pretty easy time because I usually have several that I’d be willing to buy. I also know that even if I walk out the salesman will call back in a day or two. Start with the assumption that the dealer has marked it up 20% from what he purchased it for and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            CarMax, and you're done.
            Roger that and having spent about 6 hours at a dealer 2 weeks ago helping my granddaughter buy her first car, we heard all the B.S. Stories and excuses I've heard about every time.

My favorite comeback to their "You really need to get the extended warranty" is "So you don't have enough faith/confidence in your own product and think I need it?"

Comment

We did Carmax this past year and it was really quick. We were done in a couple of hours, walking in to driving out with new car. And they can search inventory, move cars from store to store for a small fee.

Comment

I will say this when it comes to buying a vehicle.

Too many people get hung up on what the dealership is wanting to sell the vehicle for. They don't spend enough time on deciding what "they" will spend on said vehicle.

Don't budge on "your" price. If you can only spend $25,000 on the vehicle your looking at, once the bargaining goes 1 penny above, your done.

The other thing that always plays a major roll is supply and demand. And it works both ways.

If there is plenty of the kind of vehicle your looking at and limited buyers, you'll get a deal. If the shoe is on the other foot, you won't. It's really just that simple.

Comment

I will add that Carmax was a great experience for us and we have purchased 3 vehicles from them over the last 5 years. I have purchased 3 used from local dealerships in the last 2 years and those transactions were nothing like Carmax. I finally sent my wife to negotiate the last 3 and they were rough deals.

Carmax is simple, no haggle, you either like the price or not and make the transaction. I have had them move cars for 2 purchases with nothing more than "I want a closer look at the vehicle" and they moved them from Dallas to South Houston during the week and I was able to view them first on the following Saturday.

I will add this, we tried to purchase used cars for our boys from several different dealerships and there was no haggling, no incentives, nothing. I wanted to make a package deal on 2 and that was not even a consideration. It was nuts.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with buying out of state?

1) Curious about the process for paying state taxes.
                    2) Curious about the payment since I will most likely be securing a loan prior to any negotiations. The bank wont give me the money, so is the dealership going to release the vehicle with only have a pre-approval letter or phone call from the bank?

Comment

Bought my pickup from the fleet guy..think he's at Freeman now. A phone call, a few emails with 3 different trucks and the price, I picked one, he rounded it up, came in and did the paperwork...didn't take long, and went home. Family was in the metromess on a little trip a few days later and they brought me the truck!
                      I did talk to a regular salesman...just one...very short visit....hot air. Never went lookin' at a dealership again.

Comment

Good info. Likely making a an offer on a vehicle this week for my wife

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                          Maybe it’s just me. I’ve had some of the craziest experiences imaginable buying a used vehicle.

Are my expectations unrealistic? I can’t seem to make it through this process. I’m always pre-approved.

1) Obtain pre-approved car loan with super low rate
                          2) Identify potential vehicle
                          3) Contact dealer, get salesman assigned.
                          4) Negotiate price before arriving.
                          5). Test drive
                          6) Value trade-in (if needed)
                          7) Close deal
                          Yep, I have sales price and buyers order before I ever step foot in dealership. It's really not that hard

Comment

Easy process with the internet nowadays. The only issues to be prepared for are the hidden “dealer add on fees” and the nut-kick process of dealing with a trade-in if applicable.

Comment

Check out rental car companies. A lot of them keep a vehicle for 15000 miles, take the depreciation and then sell them.

Comment

Working...
                              X