Aoudad euro diy advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aoudad euro diy advise

I recently went on an Aoudad sheep hunt in west Texas and while on the hunt I cane across a ram that had been dead 3-4 weeks. I was somehow able to tolerate the smell and haul the head down the mountain. I am wanting to do a euro mount on it and have read the horns need to be taken off so that the meat can be removed. My question is do I still need to do this since he had been dead for so long? The Beatles and maggots did a number on him and the boiling and fleshing was quite simple because of it. My goal now is to get rid of the stink that’s left.

I don't know where you were when you found it but if it was in an Anthrax area I would get rid of that thing ASAP

Edit: I re-read and see you already boiled it so I guess you're good.

Comment

cover it with activated charcoal and it with will take the smell out. Has to be activated.

Comment

Soak in diluted Odoban

Comment

Yes the horns need to come off. Drill a 1/4 hole or larger from the bottom of the skull up into the horn. Soak the skull in water submerging the horns. It will stink so keep it outside.
          Few days later wack the base of the horns with a rubber mallet. It will sound different when it loosens. Pull and twist to get them off. It could take a 2 or 3 weeks.
          When you get them off scrape the material off the skull, usually the inside the horn is clean. Buy 20 mule team (borax) and fill the horns for several days. Use Dawn and stiff brush and hot water and scrub the skull and horns. Soak skull in bleach water to cut the smell. You can whiten the skull with 40% cream mixed with Quick White both from a beauty supply.
          Cut all but 5 or 6 inches of the horn cores off and glue the horns on with clear epoxy after all are dry. Brush horns and skull with clear Mop and Glo.
          Search YouTube for Whitebone Creations. Guy in California cleans skulls and provides a lot of good info and products.
          Have fun.
          Last edited by BO-N-ARO; 10-28-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the feedback guys. I will start in on this later this week and let you know when I finally get it finished up.

Comment

Youtube search "White Bone Creations" and follow his directions for horned game.

Comment

Horns gotta come off. Then you can bury it or put it in a pond. I like the pond method. Just wire it all together and tie it down so it doesn't wander off. I ain't boiling no old stinky head.

Comment

I soak my deer heads in a 5 gallon bucket of water for a month. They come out looking was better than boiling it for hours

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

I like to compare some of these methods to repainting your Lamborghini with Krylon.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
                      Yes the horns need to come off. Drill a 1/4 hole or larger from the bottom of the skull up into the horn. Soak the skull in water submerging the horns. It will stink so keep it outside.
                      Few days later wack the base of the horns with a rubber mallet. It will sound different when it loosens. Pull and twist to get them off. It could take a 2 or 3 weeks.
                      When you get them off scrape the material off the skull, usually the inside the horn is clean. Buy 20 mule team (borax) and fill the horns for several days. Use Dawn and stiff brush and hot water and scrub the skull and horns. Soak skull in bleach water to cut the smell. You can whiten the skull with 40% cream mixed with Quick White both from a beauty supply.
                      Cut all but 5 or 6 inches of the horn cores off and glue the horns on with clear epoxy after all are dry. Brush horns and skull with clear Mop and Glo.
                      Search YouTube for Whitebone Creations. Guy in California cleans skulls and provides a lot of good info and products.
                      Have fun.
                      What he said!

Comment

Working...
                      X