First Bow Buck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bow Buck!

Well after 10 years it finally happened, God sent a shooter buck my way while bowhunting. We’ve got a great place in Archer County, but we’re covered up with hunting pressure. This is our third year here, and we hadn’t seen a deer on camera up until a few weeks ago for this season.

My job has made getting up to the lease a challenge this year, in addition to many commitments with my little kiddos and church. I caught a chance to run up last night for two hunts. Whenever I got in the stand it was clear my feeder had been hit pretty heavily over the past few days, but I had yet to pull my memory card to see whether it was pigs or cows, but likely not deer.

About an hour before sunset I had a doe come in with a nubbin buck. I had convinced myself that if she presented me with a shot that I could t refuse that I’d take her because I’d already passed up on that opportunity opening weekend. Randomly some birds spooked them and they decided they weren’t hungry anymore and the second chance never came. As things cooled off I decided I was more anxious to eat my steak back at camp than sit there and freeze.

At the moment I had finished zipping up my bag I looked up and there was a nice buck coming in that I had never seen before. He was alone and in no hurry. Prayers went into overdrive mode at that point. He came in directly behind my feeder, and stayed behind it for about 15 minutes. While I was praying the sun would slow down it gave me time to collect myself. Things from there went textbook. He walked into view, turned broadside, put his head down, and moved his leg forward at 22 yards. I watched my lumenok zap through the engine room as he jumped straight into the air with a heel kick. He took off out of view taking every mesquite with him.

About 45 minutes later I picked up my arrow topped with a 1 3/8 grim reaper and started looking for a blood trail. NOTHING. My arrow had bright red blood on it, but for 15 yards there wasn’t a speck of hair or blood whenever I was expecting a crime scene. Finally after a pretty good search I found a speck of blood which did get a little bitter as the trail went. Another 20 yards there he was all folded up.

I don’t know why I didn’t get a nicer blood trail. Some of the doe I’ve taken had left red carpets for me. This guy had a beautiful 3 blade pattern through the center of his heart and lungs. He didn’t make it far at all, but still.

My first bow buck and I are now headed to the taxi! He’s not my best buck by any means, but he’s easily my favorite buck hands down. I’ll never forget the experience. My number is+12546441068 if someone would be willing to assist with pics. Thanks for sharing in my excitement.

Congrats and in for the pics

Comment

Text me pics 903 7one5 707eight

Comment

Congratulations looking forward to the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not your biggest. We need some pics of those dudes lol.

Congrats!
          Attached Files

Comment

That sir is a beast

Comment

Nice one. What's your biggest?

Comment

Very cool congrats to you.

Comment

Lol we take good pictures in all honesty, but I was able to take a couple 140 class deer in the panhandle a few years back.

This buck may not make 130, but either way he’s 200 class in my book.

Comment

Not one thing wrong with that buck! Congrats

Comment

Great buck.

Comment

Great buck! Have you scored him yet? He may surprise you. Looks bigger than 130 from here.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats! That’s an awesome buck!

Comment

Working...
                              X