No announcement yet.

Texas Sized Hog Trap - Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just now finding this.. awesome work! Have you considered using bows from time to time to kill them. Would be good practice and it's a big enough pen that it wouldn't necessarily be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
      Just now finding this.. awesome work! Have you considered using bows from time to time to kill them. Would be good practice and it's a big enough pen that it wouldn't necessarily be easy.
      Arrows are expensive. Especially with broadheads

Comment

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
        We've toyed with the thought, but the driving reason this works is because we minimize the stress on the pigs. The fence is only 36" high and if they get stressed, they will jump it. Our goal is to kill as many as possible, preferably all of them. I believe shooting them with a bow will be self defeating. The few times that we've trapped only 1 hog, it was a very large boar hog and not something I would want to get eye to eye with except through a rifle scope.

Comment

Here's how I took care of escaping piglets---free chainlink from a GS brother, buried about 6" below the bottom edge of the original panels. Top 18" isn't attached so if they climb it, it sags back into the trap and they fall. Works like a charm.

Comment

OOh!! I like it Allen! I thought about it but I can't find enough free chain link to go all of the way around. How big is your trap?

Comment

My trap is roughly 100’ around so no problem finding enough. I posted a “WTB” ad in our classified and got mine

Comment

Ok. My fenceline is 2700 feet long, according to my simple math in my head with some estimates.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                  Ok. My fenceline is 2700 feet long, according to my simple math in my head with some estimates.
                  Dang, that's more than half a mile! You got several hundred acres in there. If it is round and you question your math, measure the distance across (diameter) and multiply that by 3.14 to get the diameter. Let us know what you compute---

Comment

Better yet - I just ran the GPS lines - 958 feet, more or less.

Comment

Better yet - I just ran the GPS lines - 958 feet, more or less.
                      Is that total fence line or diameter?
                      Last edited by GarGuy; 06-26-2020, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                        Dang, that's more than half a mile! You got several hundred acres in there. If it is round and you question your math, measure the distance across (diameter) and multiply that by 3.14 to get the diameter. Let us know what you compute---
                        Your math is wrong. If its square that's about 10 acres.

Comment

total fence line. Its about 1.5 acres in a somewhat square shape.

Comment

total fence line. Its about 1.5 acres in a somewhat square shape.
                            Got ir

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Your math is wrong. If its square that's about 10 acres.
                              Yep--and diameter multiplied by 3.14 (pi) gives circumference (distance around). Not sure where my mind was----

Comment

Tracey,
                                Excellent job to you and your helpers!
                                Did you pay to process them or just donate them, a lot of work

Comment

Working...
                                X