Fall Muskox in Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall Muskox in Alaska

So, if this needs to get moved, please go ahead. Couple upfront notifications, I live in Alaska and this is a draw hunt. There are only 15 permits for the fall hunt. I have applied for this tag for 7 years with no success. We did this as a DIY which means a transporter dropped us off and is supposed to pick us up. We supplied our own tents, gear and food. We did everything on foot on this island which is located out in the Bearing Sea.

My brother and I were fortunate enough to both pull tags for the Nunavak Island Fall Muskox hunt. We arrived two days early per the transporters request so we could get dropped off. Once camp was set up we hiked up inland and glassed for several hours with no sightings. The next day we did the same thing with lots of hours sitting in the rain and wind and no sightings. As a side note, there are no trees on the island and the wind seems to blow constantly. Sometimes only 15-20mph, but other times sustained at 40+.

Opening day we missed going out in the morning due to a misadventure with the tide coming in and flooding our camp at midnight. Nothing like waking up as your sleeping bag soaks up water.

For the record, we asked if the tide got that high when picking our campsite and were told "no". The winds were very high and stacked up water in the bay we were on, the tide cycle and almost full moon caused super high tides, much higher than the locals had ever seen. No joke, but there was a jelly fish in the tent. Lesson learned.

So we spent the day cleaning everything that had gotten immersed in salt water. We lost one VHF radio, one camera, some food, and most gear soaked. It was of course a driving rain/wind storm as we hauled everything out of the tent in a rush as the tide rushed in. At its highest point there was some 15" of water in the tent(no bottom).

That afternoon, although nothing was really dry, at least it was free of salt water. We walked up on the highest ridge between us and town(town is about 8 miles away). On top of the ridge we found some other hunters had tagged out and were processing their bulls. 3 muskox had been taken within a mile of us. We congratulated them, and moved on to the south.

As we hadn't slept at all the night of the 31st, we were pretty burnt and headed back to camp about 6pm. Just before we dropped off the last hill into our camp, we took one look back and saw a lone bull walking toward us about a mile away. We did our best to get in a position to get a shot, but he angled off to the south and soon had one valley between us.

He was a giant but I just couldn't push on anymore. Fatigue, lack of sleep, 4 back surgeries and 1 cervical surgery make me a bit more cautious than I was in my 30's.

And it was opening day, surely with 3 dead bulls on the hill, and this one, there would be more right?

So September 2, 3, 4 all went the same, get up, hike, glass, NO MUSKOX anywhere around us. We saw several other hunters, probably guided, through our optics glassing at different points. Once or twice we saw what was a lone muskox miles away, but way too far to reach with just our legs.

The morning of the 5th we were up and just at daylight my brother spotted a muskox about mile and a half away. The wind was bad, but he was far enough away that if we hurried, we could get ahead of him. Once there we would have the wind right and stalk "back".

We choked down Clif bars and ran out of the tent and across the tundra. The muskox was behind the big hill between us and town by now and if he didn't walk too fast, and we didn't die from running in rain gear, we might have a chance.

We finally reached a spot where we had the wind and started up the side of the hill we knew he was last on. The wind/rain was really howling by now, we were soaked inside and out. Just before the crest of the hill I sat down, set up my hiking poles as shooting sticks and caught my breath. Nothing happened for about 10 minutes so we began to creep forward staying low on our hands and knees.

After about 100 yards, we saw the top of his back coming over the top of the hill and I reset my poles, and waited. These things have a slow gait, but it seems they only stop momentarily and the wind was pushing my gun all over. We sat stock still as the rest of him came into view, finally giving me enough to shoot at. My brother called out the range at 165 yards and we confirmed it was a bull. (Honestly, rain, wind, mist we wanted to make sure.)

He immediately saw us and stopped looking down the hill and I had a hard quartering to us shot. I had to wait as I figured he would turn and when he started to go, I shot once breaking the left front leg and angling into the chest, second shot broadside, third shot as he turned and ran. For those who want to know .300 Win 180 grain Barnes X bullets 71.5 grains RL17 or 22 I dont have my load data book with me.

Finally! Years of applying, a really rough start to the trip and now a dream come true.

Caping, breaking down, and processing was a chore as they all are. But getting the skin off the head is a nightmare. If you ever draw this tag and DIY bring a filet knife and a long screwdriver!!!

We hunted till the 8th with only very distant sightings and I had to leave. My brother stayed another few days and finally connected on a very old bull.

Couple things, while this hunt isn't terribly hard in terms of terrain, the weather wears on you. Also, DIY your'e limited to how far you can walk and everyone seems to hunt the same hill about 8 miles from town so there is lots of competition. There are also logistical issues getting your meat back to Bethel, mine took two flights on Ravn(long story), be patient.

I have talked to guys that do the winter hunt and I think that might be easier in that the animals are herded up. We never saw more than one muskox at a time and they were moving.

Costs are what they are, so here's a break down for DIY Anchorage and back. If you did guided, the cost is $6,000.00 as opposed to the $3,000 transporter fee.
    Airfare from Anchorage to Bethel, I used miles, but I think its around $300
    Airfare on Ravn from Bethel to Mekoryak is right at $600 and you are allowed 100lbs.
    Hotel in Bethel night before was $250.
    Pizza was $50
    Taxi is $8/per person, cash only.
    Transporter is $3,000.00
    License is $500(non resident is $2,200.00 plus a $160 hunting license)
    Trespass fee $100
    4% sales tax on transporter/guide fee if you pay while you're on the island.
    Propane for Mr. Buddy Heater( we bought 6 of the two pound cans at approximately $14/can!! so around $80.00. Glad we did as the night we got flooded, it kept us from getting hypothermia.
    Coleman fuel was $20/gallon for our MSR cooking stove.
    Getting your meat/hide/horns back depends on how much you bring. But I think it's $1.35/lb from Mekoryak to Bethel.
    Then you pay to get it from Bethel to Anchorage, I used Ravn although Alaska Air Cargo is cheaper. AAC weren't open on Sunday and Ravn is only open until 4pm so plan accordingly. Ravn charged me right at $175 for 288lbs of meat, 98lbs for hide/backskin and 34lbs for the skull.
    Meat processing so far is $380 and I still have a bill coming for sausage.
    So Im right at $5,500 not counting the meat flight from Mekoryak to Bethel and Sausage.

Green score on the bull is 117, so there's that!

So if any of you want to start applying for a once in a lifetime experience, there's how to do it.
    Hugh
    PS, Im trying to upload the pictures!

I just want to see a pic of this beast.

Comment

Dad gum Hugh, what a horrible way to start a hunt. That is as bad as flying to Africa for a ten day hunt and having your bags lost!!!!
      Congrats on your bull and on how you guys hung in there. Congrats to your brother as well.
      That’s a lot of money, but wait till you pay the taxidermist!!!! Maybe he will give you a break.
      Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

Awesome hunt! Thanks for the great write up. Congrats.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

wow.. ive always wondered how that meat tastes. congrats!

Comment

Man that’s awesome(minus the being soaked and cold part)! Congratulations!

Comment

That is awesome. Super cool that you got to do the hunt with your brother! Congrats on the bulls

Comment

That’s cool!!!!!

Congrats on a fantastic critter!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congrats. Another Dream hunt!

Comment

Very cool! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's awesome, congrats!

Comment

Great write up and congrats on the bull!

Comment

Working...
                              X