.300 Win Mag vs .300 PRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.300 Win Mag vs .300 PRC

which one? Other than finding ammo and components for each. no hurry to get rifle.
    Just collecting info from actual users

Factory gun or custom? I’ve been shooting 300wm for years and will tell you that a 300 WM with a 215 Berger is probably the best combo is shot or hunted long range with.

Comment

If you are a hand loader don't discount the 30 Nosler. All three are really going to be close in performance inside of 1000 yards for most people.

If you were to chamber the 300WM with the MK248 chambering you would probably be identical in terms of ballistics. Full disclosure, I have never directly compared them side by side, just going of memory of previous rifles and upcoming builds. All this is being said with the assumption of you building a custom gun.

If you are looking at a factory gun 300 PRC or 30Nos would be my vote. I am building a 30 Nos right now to take the place of 300WM I had previously. I will say that I had the MK248 chamber and loved it. I sold to gun to fund other projects but had it been in a different platform and lighter, I probably would have kept it.

Comment

I was just going through this as well and after doing a lot of reading i'm going to be building a 300PRC next year.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Personally I would go 300WM or 30nosler unless you go something a little more crazy. I have 2 300wm's that are twins right now. Both built by APR with 26" 1:9 proofs. They are both hammers with the 215 bergers. They are both one holers if I do my job. And that's even with the factory berger 215's. The only reason to handload for me is speed. The factorys run around 2920 in both and I prefer closer to 3000. My fiance killed ger bull elk last week at 850 yards. 2 shots right behind shoulder with impacts 1" apart. They shoot and kill. I would probably shoot the 215 out of any of the mild 30's. My issue with the 300prc is they seem to be picky... A LOT of people I know/talk to have had issues finding a load and bullet. I have a hard time leaving the 300wm as they always seem to shoot well with minimal load work up. All shooting the 215's you don't lose much. They will all kill the same up to about 1200. Past that give me some sorta 338 with 300 grainers. Lastly, if you care about barrel life the 300wm will last the longest. What are you wanting to do with the rifle? That really is a big part? I'm a back country hunter #1 and long range guy #2. My next build will be a light short 30 built around the 215's and want to shoot 2900-3000+. Will probably go 20" barrel and either 30nos +p or 300rum.
            Last edited by OSU Fisher; 11-03-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
              I was just going through this as well and after doing a lot of reading i'm going to be building a 300PRC next year.
              Care to elaborate on what you read? Why did you choose the 300PRC over the 300 win mag?

Comment

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
                My issue with the 300prc is they seem to be picky... A LOT of people I know/talk to have had issues finding a load and bullet..
                Wasn't the 300 PRC built to get away from a belted cartridge with a case geometry that would be more forgiving to the reloader, as well as being designed to shoot longer, higher BC bullets? I'm convinced I'm going to build one of these next, and would be interested to hear more about what you've seen on load development.

Comment

Great stuff guys!!!

I'm torn between two rifles, the .300 "something" and a 6mm "something. The 6mm will definitely be a custom by Alamo. The .300, I'm looking at the Bergara Premier Approach. I cant really afford two customs and optics.
                  the .300 will be for a nilgai hunt next winter
                  the 6mm is for monthly informal , 500 yard steel plate matches. my custom 6.5 Creed does good at the matches but i need better. shooter def needs to be better

Comment

I think that the PRC is just Ruger and Hornady's way at trying to get into the 30 caliber long range game. I personally do not think that the PRC gains you anything that is not already out there. I have a friend that shoots 1200-1600 yds with a Remington Sendero in 300wm, what else could you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post

The .300, I'm looking at the Bergara Premier Approach. I cant really afford two customs and optics.
                      I have one in 300 WM, you won't regret that purchase.

Comment

I went with 300prc for the factory ammo that is meant for long range and getting rid of the belt. And so far I couldn’t be happier. I can push a 245gr Berger over 2900fps without pressure signs and unless you went with a custom throat the 300win mag could t keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                          I went with 300prc for the factory ammo that is meant for long range and getting rid of the belt. And so far I couldn’t be happier. I can push a 245gr Berger over 2900fps without pressure signs and unless you went with a custom throat the 300win mag could t keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I may have already asked you but what twist is your barrel??

Comment

Great stuff guys!!!

I'm torn between two rifles, the .300 "something" and a 6mm "something. The 6mm will definitely be a custom by Alamo. The .300, I'm looking at the Bergara Premier Approach. I cant really afford two customs and optics.
                            the .300 will be for a nilgai hunt next winter
                            the 6mm is for monthly informal , 500 yard steel plate matches. my custom 6.5 Creed does good at the matches but i need better. shooter def needs to be better
                            I have no idea what your total budget would be. I looked up the price of those bergara's but dont know what your build from APR would look like for the 6mm.... But will throw out another idea here. Definitely dont wanna steer you away from APR as I have 4 from them and are all tack drivers. Will own more from them. But if your only looking at having them do one then have your 30 something built by them " APR Altitude"? Basically a twin to my 2019 builds and a great price for what you get. Will be a great shooter and have good ergonomics for long range. Then pickup a 6mm something from GAP- their pinnacle production rifle (ppr) special is one heck of a buy. You can pre order them now. I picked one up on their deal last year in 6mm creed and it doesnt disappoint. I totally get staying budget friendly. I like to do the same. But that has also cost me $ and headache in the past when it comes to rifles. With this combo you KNOW you will get shooters and great customer service. And the guns will hold value. Just an idea....

Comment

It’s a 1-8” twist bartlein.

I was in the same boat deciding on 300prc or 300win mag. The standard loads one is for long range hunting and the other is designed for straight up hunting pushing lighter 308 bullets faster. Just depends your plan.

I’m going to shoot the 300prc for a bit and if I need more (I don’t think I will) I’m ordering a 30 Sherman Magnum reamer that I can still shoot factory 300prc and I can load some 245gr upwards of 3000-3050fps

I may have already asked you but what twist is your barrel??

Comment

Working...
                              X