Need help w/grillin hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help w/grillin hog

Anyone have a good recipe for grilling a hog? any rubs, sauces i should use. temps, times... ect. this is my first one and i'm looking for some ways to cook this thing.

I like to batter the backstrap like I was going to fry it but then just brush the flower with some olive oil and grill it. I cut the back legs up into steaks and grill them. A little lemon pepper salt, and Lawrey's with just a touch or worcstershire sauce.

Comment

I usually smoke hog shoulders and hams. Rub with spicy brown mustard. Smoke at 225 for 6 hours, then wrap good in heavy duty foil, add a half a beer and throw in the oven for another 8-10 hours depending on size. The meat should fall right off the bone...

If you have some Ragin' Blaze and brown sugar, that makes a great rub too.

Skinny

Comment

If it's a whole hog you wanna cook him slow get your pit at about 200-225 and keep it there o and by the way I always use hickory or mesquite once I get some coals with charcoal just cook with the wood but it needs to be good and dry wood. Season Jim up with some Tony Chacheres and some lemon pepper and if it's a small hog once it gets about halfway done take and wrap him up in some foil and throw some sliced onion on him and some Italian salad dressing and just let it keep on slow cookin. It takes a while but well worth the wait

Comment

35lber started pit around 10am. was done around 4pm. just let it smoke all day.

added some beer and random spices throughout the day. then towards the end started coating a nice coat of some home mixed BBQ sauce. mix of beer/BBQ (jack daniels I think)/lowerys all spice/garlic powder/cayanne pepper and whatever else I fould laying around to through in it.

Man it was great pulled pork!

cooked it at about 250-300 degrees (300 because I wasnt paying as close attention to fire as i shoulda been).

Comment

Originally posted by Hogdude1234 View Post
            I usually smoke hog shoulders and hams. Rub with spicy brown mustard. Smoke at 225 for 6 hours, then wrap good in heavy duty foil, add a half a beer and throw in the oven for another 8-10 hours depending on size. The meat should fall right off the bone...

If you have some Ragin' Blaze and brown sugar, that makes a great rub too.

Skinny
            X2

Comment

A coat of yellow mustard, sprinkle with Raging Blaze and other spices, smoke for 2-4 hours @225, wrap in foil, and keep in smoker at 225 until done, or put in oven at 225 until done - another 4-10 hours depending on amount. Will fall off the bone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you all!! :-) tomorrow's the day I'm going to give it a go I'll post pics throughout the day. Thank yall agian

Comment

Any pics yet....we usually spray with a mixture of EVO, beer and pineapple juice every 45 minutes

Comment

Ok as I promised here arethe pics of cooking it sure was good. :-)

Thank yall again for all the help. now time to try some other recipes and to get a nother hog.

Comment

Looks Good

Comment

Working...
                      X