The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
    Dang I need to work further from the refrigerator or I am not going to be able to drag my arse up the hill this fall. I am proving you cannot out work a bad diet.
    Same. This work from home stuff really lends itself to a lot of lazy drinking and lack of exercise, and that's coming from someone with a lot of good gym equipment in my game room. I keep planning to get back in gear "first thing next week" and it's stuck on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by chevota View Post
      Anybody hunted 80/81 OTC in CO?
      In for info on these two units. I hunted 78 a couple years back and was there too late (hunting pressure pushed most elk onto private) or that's what it seemed like to me. Lots of sign everywhere but no sight of elk other than on the other side of the fence. Sucks that Colorado made the changes.

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      Same. This work from home stuff really lends itself to a lot of lazy drinking and lack of exercise, and that's coming from someone with a lot of good gym equipment in my game room. I keep planning to get back in gear "first thing next week" and it's stuck on repeat.
      You got plenty of time to get after it and get fit.

What's the deal with Wyoming? I assume there aren't any OTC tags up there. I might need to find another state.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        Ditto!....I'm starting tomorrow.....after that strawberry poke cake in gone!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Ditto!....I'm starting tomorrow.....after that strawberry poke cake in gone!
          I have a pork butt in the smoker overnight, it'll finish in aboot 3 hours or so. So I'm starting my new regimen in about 6 hours after loosening my belt another notch.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            In for info on these two units. I hunted 78 a couple years back and was there too late (hunting pressure pushed most elk onto private) or that's what it seemed like to me. Lots of sign everywhere but no sight of elk other than on the other side of the fence. Sucks that Colorado made the changes.

What's the deal with Wyoming? I assume there aren't any OTC tags up there. I might need to find another state.
            I have hunted unit 80.Seen a few elk in hard to get places.had the opportunityat a few cows and one small bull. if any questions let me know .

Comment

No OTC for NR in Wyoming. Leftover list will be out in June for that draw.
              No Otc for NR keeps our hunting great as our population is low and hunting pressure reflects that.

Comment

Pretty severe drought conditions in Southern Colorado right now, pray for rain and plenty of it before fall. Already a wildfire in Colorado.

Comment

The trouble with Wyoming:
                  A few years back, shortly after our family moved into a new home, I killed a cow elk in the federally designated wilderness area just a mile from my back door. It wasn’t until after I had notched my tag, quartered the elk and packed the meat down the mountain that I realized how lucky I was to live...

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    It's a stupid law but I can't fathom why all NR think you need wilderness access for a good hunt. In 33 years I have never hunted one and residents flock to them.
                    But if that's your reasoning for not applying and hunting Wyoming stick to your guns, OTC Colorado can't be that bad right?

Comment

Will be hunting New Mexico for the first time this fall. Also first time for Elk. Lot of time on whitetails, so will be a learning experience. Lot of great information from everyone in this community. Will be in GMU 46.

Comment

New Mexico draw is so stacked against non-residents, it is like hitting the lottery if you do get it.

Comment

In accordance with state law, the drawing attempts to distribute a minimum of 84% of the licenses/permits for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10% to residents and nonresidents who have contracted with an outfitter and 6% to nonresidents who haven't contracted with an outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by Clabdor View Post
                            In accordance with state law, the drawing attempts to distribute a minimum of 84% of the licenses/permits for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10% to residents and nonresidents who have contracted with an outfitter and 6% to nonresidents who haven't contracted with an outfitter
                            I have hunted there 14 years and have only drew one tag. Horrible odds for non residents.

Comment

The guy I buy my LO tags from called me yesterday and said, The state has cut the LO tags in half. They are now wanting $8500 for a tag. I am done with elk hunting in NM.

Comment

I drew 78 third choice this year, really the biggest pain point is it isn’t an either sex tag anymore. I’ve never not gotten into elk in 78. Best way to find elk in 78 is not go to a trail head

Comment

Working...
                                X