Timber Rattlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timber Rattlers

As anyone heard anything about them being removed from the protected list? Everything I see still list them.

I've heard it, but haven't read anything official.

Comment

Just got a text back from our GW that says they did. Never thought I would see it.

Comment

They have been removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank goodness. Most people don't realize how common they are.

Comment

They are scarce in parts of the country, but not in East Texas.

Comment

I know they are common and there’s no telling how many I have passed by but in my 60+ years of being in the east Texas woods, I’ve never seen one.

Comment

I've seen 7 in 30 years in Texas, 2 were in my yard.
                Last edited by oktx; 04-26-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

We found a timber rattler on our place approx three years ago. Not knowing what it was and the fact that it was heading toward the house, it was killed by an "unknown assailant." I say this because, after we checked with our wildlife biologist, I was told they are on the state AND federal protected species list (hefty fines for killing one). While it seems that they are quite common in the NE states, they have begun to migrate west. The biologist says if you come across one, you're supposed to inform TPWD of the location at which you found it, provide photo documentation, and let it it go on its way.

And while they are technically considered an "ambush predator," the biologist told me they are painfully shy of people and will retreat at all costs. I say, however, when they're crawling in your front yard, up the walkway, heading for your front door, all bets are off. THIS momma will kill anything that threatens her babies and the animals. So that sucker's dead!

Comment

Grew up in eat Texas hunting all
                    Over and have hunted Oklahoma a lot, never seen one.

Comment

Hunted near Warren in East Texas from 81 to 05. Saw 2 in those 25 years and they were both huge snakes.

Comment

It doesn’t have a date on it but this is what I found on the TPWD Website.

Information about the Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus), a species found in the State of Texas

Comment

I have never seen one, I have been in east Texas a few times. Been out west a lot more often, there are multiple species out there, that I have not seen either. Only seen Western Diamondbacks, or pretty sure I have only seen Western Diamondbacks.

I would love to see some Black Tails and some Timber Rattlers.

Comment

You must of saw the same post I saw on FB lol.
                            Maybe their status was changed from endangered to threatened?? I still don't think legal to kill. I have not seen otherwise.

Comment

They are thick in the Denton Creek bottom West of lake Grapevine.

I've seen 5 or 6 in that area....saw one at Hagerman as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X