Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gumbo Recipe needed

Short Version: need a gumbo recipe.
    Long version: My grandmother was always the one to cook gumbo for the family. She was the true matriarch of the Doucet clan and anytime we got together she would make her gumbo. She was born and raised and west monroe, so it was a true cajun gumbo, not just a seafood soup which is what most of the restaurants selling "gumbo" around me have. She developed brain cancer and died a month later, so we were never able to get the recipe. I am wanting a good rue based gumbo recipe to try and keep the family tradition alive and honor her memory.

Check out the Cajun Ninja on youtube. He does a great one.

Comment

Join Cajun and creole recipe circle on fb 375k members tons of recipes gumbo is one of the top topics always covered and west Monroe might as well be from Arkansas haha just kidding

Comment

No need for a recipe
        Just make it.....everyone makes it a different way
        It’ll be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          No need for a recipe
          Just make it.....everyone makes it a different way
          It’ll be good!
          This x 2. It starts with roux, trinity, and stock. And when I say stock I mean real stock. If it’s seafood gumbo you want get head on shrimp and use the heads and shells with onion celery and bell pepper and carrots to make your stock. I judged a Gumbo cook off a while back and I could tell who was going to win as I walked by all of the contestant booths. I saw a lot of chicken stock boxes being used and there was only one team making an “Old School” seafood stock. The entries were anonymous but our panel easily recognized the difference. Again good roux, good ingredients and experimentation will get you where you want to be. If your looking for that PARTICULAR taste that you grew up with might be hard to find. Hundreds of good gumbo recipes are available online and it will be a good starting point. Good luck sir and have fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
            This x 2. It starts with roux, trinity, and stock. And when I say stock I mean real stock. If it’s seafood gumbo you want get head on shrimp and use the heads and shells with onion celery and bell pepper and carrots to make your stock. I judged a Gumbo cook off a while back and I could tell who was going to win as I walked by all of the contestant booths. I saw a lot of chicken stock boxes being used and there was only one team making an “Old School” seafood stock. The entries were anonymous but our panel easily recognized the difference. Again good roux, good ingredients and experimentation will get you where you want to be. If your looking for that PARTICULAR taste that you grew up with might be hard to find. Hundreds of good gumbo recipes are available online and it will be a good starting point. Good luck sir and have fun with it.
            Gumbo Man drops the mic and walks away.

Thanks for the info Gumbo Man, will use this, and good question Young Gun, good luck with keeping that family tradition going.

Comment

YG send me a PM with your email address. I'll send you my gumbo recipe. I'm not Cajun but have learned from some of the best cooks in this area.

Your grandmother wasn't Cajun based on her geographic area of residence (West Monroe). She was Cajun based on her ancestry. West Monroe is nowhere near Cajun Country and is actually closer to Texas than Lafayette. I would believe her parents, grandparents, or in-laws were originally from the 7-Parish area known as "Acadiana", and they eventually moved to North Louisiana in the early 1900's.

Regardless, it doesn't take away that your grandmother was an excellent cook and Cajun by family lineage. You can tweak the recipe according to your taste. My suggestion, find a real smoked sausage as andouille and tasso provide great flavor in a gumbo. First and foremost, you gotta know how to make a roux

excellent link with great recipes ... https://acadianatable.com/first-you-make-a-roux/

Comment

Originally posted by Lsube0555 View Post
                Join Cajun and creole recipe circle on fb 375k members tons of recipes gumbo is one of the top topics always covered and west Monroe might as well be from Arkansas haha just kidding
                Lol it's true, cajun country is not way up der

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                  First sage and now carrots?? Geez man you must be from Shreveport or sumin

Comment

He’s definitely from north of I-10

Comment

Good gumbo takes time and practice find a recipe that you like and tweak it as you go. My in-laws are Cajun and guard they’re recipes worse than anything I’ve seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                        First sage and now carrots?? Geez man you must be from Shreveport or sumin

Abbeville. Vermilion Parish. Y’all are funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig1776 View Post
                          Good gumbo takes time and practice find a recipe that you like and tweak it as you go. My in-laws are Cajun and guard they’re recipes worse than anything I’ve seen.
                          You are right about that guarding of recipes. My grandmother went to her grave with her boudin recipe and it took me 30 years to crack the code. Made a lot of pretty good dog food until I figured it out.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgiv View Post
                            He’s definitely from north of I-10
                            I always cringe when I hear this...plenty of Acadiens settled north of what is now 1-10. But yeah not West Monroe north.

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
                              I always cringe when I hear this...plenty of Acadiens settled north of what is now 1-10. But yeah not West Monroe north.
                              True Dat. Growing up there was as many Cajuns in Port Author as there was in South LA. I’m surprised Texans weren’t building a wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X