Question about rental house/final bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about rental house/final bill

I helped my sons move out of their place ending 8/31 and thought we left it relatively clean, can't think of what debris would need removal because we cleaned everything up. The vertical blinds missing slats and rescreen patio door are legit but everything else seems a big exaggerated. I don't think they're interested in disputing anything, probably just gonna pay the balance but for future reference I'm curious to see if this is in line with what others might see when vacating a rental house. I told the boys to ask for a copy of that final water bill, that definitely doesn't add up because their bills were normally about $40 or so per month and the bill should be in their name billed directly as well so I'm not sure why the management company would have anything to do with that.

Date Transaction Comments Amount
    Security Deposit ($1,225.00)
    Pet Damage Deposit ($250.00)

Balances Due As Of Move-Out Total $1987.28
    Date Transaction Comments Amount
    8/31/2021 Cleaning Fee Carpet cleaning $249.00
    8/31/2021 Damage Fees Debris removal, blind repairs, filling nail holes, extensive touch up paint due to wall damage, drip pans, batteries in smoke detectors, furnace filter, stove hood filter, rescreen patio door,
    slats on vertical blinds, and mow/trim yards.
    Full extensive vacate cleaning. $1,458.25
    8/31/2021 Utility Charge final water bill $280.03
    Amount Due Property $512.28

I don't know how the process works, but half of that doesn't sound like the tenants responsibility in the first place. I'd be disputing for sure.

Comment

There is no way I would pay that. That is ridiculous

Comment

Don’t think I’d be paying

Comment

Did you take pics after you cleaned it up and moved out?

Comment

Scam. It's a way for them to not payback any of the deposit. I would not pay them a dime more, and I doubt they really expect you to.

Comment

That’s crazy! I would not pay any of it… call and talk to them; sounds like a rip off…. for future purposes I would take pics of everything before the move in and after the move out…

Comment

No way I’d be paying for all that without disputing it with the management company.

Comment

There should have been something reviewed and signed when he moved out. A lot of regular maintenance items on the bill too. If no pics or written signed review may cost someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    Did you take pics after you cleaned it up and moved out?
                    Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                    There should have been something reviewed and signed when he moved out. A lot of regular maintenance items on the bill too. If no pics or written signed review may cost someone.
                    Yep the boys both got a video walk-through before leaving. Unfortunately it was a weekend and the management company was closed so they couldn't come out to sign off on anything, they told them to drop the keys in their lock box.

Comment

I moved out of an apartment in college and received a final bill similar to this. The charges were ridiculous they were trying to stick me with. I had pics of the condition I left it in and disputed their claim. I also threatened to file a complaint with the BBB. A few days later I was sent another letter to disregard the previous and received a partial deposit refund.

Comment

Photos, videos and more photos!

I went through something similar and never did a walk through without photos again. Just like tenets some landlords can suck and try and that get "one last paycheck" out of the move out. Half of what you listed is BS standard maintenance that shouldn't pass over to your son but they are trying to. Even the carpet cleaning (unless there was a bunch of stains and what not?) is 100% not on your son.

Take your photos and videos and send them to the landlord and start negotiating immediately. Pay for the stuff that was damaged and "not standard maintenance" and not a dime more. If they don't budge then small claims court (its very easy).

Unless you are wealthy enough that 2,000$ is chump change then this is all mute.

Comment

Last place we rented was for 5+ years. They tried to stick us with all kinds of random stuff when we left. From little maintenance items to wanting us to pay for carpet replacement in the whole unit. Not from stains, just wear and tear. Wife had one of her attorneys send a letter and they dropped it.

Comment

As a landlord, I pretty well expect to be painting the interior, and either deep cleaning or replacing carpet in between tenants, as well as lawn mowing. That only leaves damaged blinds and a screen door. The rest is common maintenance stuff. I would definitely dispute it.

Comment

I would not pay a dime over the deposits they already have. Likely I would fight to get some of that back, but hauling off stuff, water bill and things like filters and batteries are the landlords responsibility to prepare for next resident.

Comment

Working...
                              X