His and Her Axis at the Stolle Deer Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His and Her Axis at the Stolle Deer Camp

Jen told me 3-4 weeks ago if we get 90% of the house packed up we could go to the deer camp Father’s Day weekend. (We are moving from Spring to Fulshear this week. )

We arrived at camp late Thursday night. I scouted from the cabin blind Friday morning while Jen worked and while our friend Greg drove in from La Grange. I noticed a heavy buck eating at camp and told myself I’d let an arrow fly if he walked out. I was buck hunting since we had a full schedule of work and moving this week. Jen on the other hand was in full kill mode.

Our game plan was for me to go to camp, Jen East Gap and Greg to Honey Hole. Before the feeder went off I heard a whitetail blowing and watched my target buck spook out of the trees and walked up the hill. I figured he was gone. Wasn’t long after the feeder went off Jen messages that she arrowed a doe. I had a few white tails eating and was planning my exit to go help Jen. It was hot and I didn’t want the meat to spoil. I told Jen I would get out at 6 and come her way. Well a few minutes to 6 my buck walks in at 8 yards. I grab my bow and before I could draw he walks back out the way he came. I adjusted the camera and waited. It seems like it took for ever, but luckily he steps back in for some hand corn. I draw and touch the release and he drops. Shot was high. I hit the spine and the artery. He was almost dead, but I still got out and put another arrow in his heart. Wasn’t the shot I planned, but was great for the situation I was in. Super excited about this old heavy guy.

No time for processing this week, so we cubed the meat up for burger on Saturday.

Taxidermist said he thinks the buck was 8 years old. It was worth the 6 year wait between meat fork and this heavy guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boy his face sure screams old man for sure...nice work!!

Comment

Congrats !! Great time!

Comment

Awesome buck

Congrats!

Comment

Great job Team Stolle! Heck of a buck Matt congrats!

Beard game is still strong too

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice work Stolles!

Comment

Nice old buck, that looks like some good eating

Comment

Heck of a weekend, congrats !!

Comment

Awesome!!! Well done!

Comment

very nice Stolle! anytime you want, that javelina/jackrabbit hunt in trade for an axis hunt is on the table!!

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

love the mass, congrats!

Comment

Sweet axis! Lot of good eats right there. Congrats

Comment

fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                              X