No announcement yet.

Protein dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t think you can discriminate like that.

Comment

I don’t see a way besides separating the Reds from everything else in a set pasture.

Comment

You could high fence the feeders and then make a small gate or opening in the bottom that only the whitetail can get through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Red deer are chow hounds. Just like elk. Protein feeding with those guys around is an expensive proposition. I know from experience on our lease.

Comment

Any way it would work if you built a high fence around the feeder; and left it just high enough off the ground that only the smaller, whitetail/axis, deer could go under it? Then, if your worried about hogs, also build a pen around the entire protein pen that would deny hogs access.

Comment

I have a similar issue with Axis and whitetail. but i am low fenced and have a 3 to 1 ratio. the axis will clean out 2k of protein in 4 days

Comment

All I can think of that may help is for him to put out multiple protein feeders, spread far apart and hope the Red deer mainly target 1 or 2 and he rest of the critters may be able to get some protein at the other stations. Or the Red deer may just hammer all of them.......

Comment

Have a trapper come in to thin down the red deer herd.
                  Get paid and get mouths off the feed bill.
                  But like everyone said, they sure do like the protein.

Other than that, section them off.

Comment

Split ranch into two sections.
                    One side whitetail and other animal you want to protein feed and the other side red deer. Use someone to trap red deer from whitetail side.

Comment

I would be willing to say that place is over grazed as it sits now. With all the animals you listed and 200 red deer. He need to cut down on a bunch of red deer. Where is thiablocated?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                        I would be willing to say that place is over grazed as it sits now. With all the animals you listed and 200 red deer. He need to cut down on a bunch of red deer. Where is thiablocated?
                        That was my thought as well. 200 Red Deer is a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                          Split ranch into two sections.
                          One side whitetail and other animal you want to protein feed and the other side red deer. Use someone to trap red deer from whitetail side.

Comment

Cross fence is your only solution, outside of eliminating the red deer. I guided hunts on a high fence that had basically the same animals you stated. The red deer would push WT completely off any and all feeders to the point the WT would basically just stop coming around them.

Comment

That seems like too many red deer, either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                                Between Beeville and Goliad.

Comment

Working...
                                X