Deer hunting with dogs – a memory of my first kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer hunting with dogs – a memory of my first kill

Anybody ever hunt deer with dogs? Back in the early 80’s I worked with an older guy who was a longtime member of a hunting camp/club on timber company land near El Dorado Arkansas. One year he invited me to go along for a few days. (I was in my mid-20’s and not a deer hunter – growing up my my fall weekends were spent chasing quail and pheasants all over Oklahoma and Kansas.) This was a real old school deer camp the group had for decades. There were 6-8 simple cabins they had built as well as a cook shack/dining hall. One of the requirements for membership was to have at least a couple of deer dogs. There were a a dozen or more dogs in the camp kennel that weekend.

We gathered at the cook shack in the dark and a couple of the guys had a huge breakfast laid out for everybody. I just sat there and listened as all the old-timers smoked their cigarettes, drank coffee and laid out the plan for the day – who was going to hunt and who was going to handle the dogs. Everybody piled into vehicles and I was driven several miles down a logging road then dropped off with vague instructions – “walk about 100 yards that way until you find a tree stand. When you hear the dogs coming, get ready”.

I walked into the woods worried about getting lost when finally in the beam of my flashlight I saw some 2x4 steps going up a pine tree. I crawled up, got settled in and carefully loaded my borrowed Marlin 30/30. Not long after first light I heard the dogs baying in the distance but I couldn’t tell which direction they were going. I was unprepared for the first group of deer that ran by at a trot – I barely got my gun up before they were gone. A while later a buck ran by at full tilt with dogs close behind – no shot. I figured since the dogs had gone by I had missed my opportunity but a few minutes later here came a young fork horn sneaking in from the opposite direction. I guess he had avoided the dogs and doubled back. I will say here that I had asked my buddy if there was any restriction on what I could shoot. His reply was “what do you do when you’re duck hunting and see a duck?” I said “well, you shoot it!” He said “well, we are deer hunting, if you see a deer, shoot it!” The buck passed within about 50 yards and I dropped him. I sat there for another hour or two occasionally hearing dogs and shots in the distance before they came and got me.

If I remember correctly they only hunted the mornings – the rest of the day was spent at camp playing cards, horseshoes and lots of eating and drinking. One other memory - there was an ancient black man named Morehead that had apparently been squatting on this timber land for many years. He had to be in his 80’s and had lived in a shack in the woods with no electricity pretty much his whole life. When he started hearing shooting he knew it was deer season and he’d ride his mule into camp where he would gut, skin and quarter your deer for $20.

I don't know if hunting deer with dogs is still legal anywhere. Not a way I would want to do it all the time but it was an exciting experience.

Grew up hunting deer with dogs in La.
    I did not realize at the time there was any other way. I put a lot of meat in the freezer using 12 gauge 00 and 000 buckshot. I would do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunity presents itself. There are still a good number of hunters running deer hounds in La.

Comment

It's lots of fun but not a lot of age and score consideration

Comment

Grew up hunting with dogs in Mississippi. Definitely a much more community style of hunting. The more people you could get to line logging roads or cutovers, the better.

The majority of the mature bucks I saw killed were as you mentioned, doubling back after the dogs had passed through.

I always enjoyed still hunting on trails without dogs for deer but I really miss hunting rabbits with a pack of beagles.

Comment

I killed my first deer on a hound hunt in Lottie La.I have fond memories of dog hunting with my PawPaw George in La and Mississippi I would give almost anything do do that with him one more time.I’ve been thinking about getting a few Beagles and start rabbit hunting again,hearing and watching those dogs work is exciting.

Comment

Cool story sir.

Never hunted with dogs. We tried a few small, not extremely organized "pushes" when I was young but that is about the extent of my experience. Definitely different that what most of us do today

Comment

I grew up doing it in Alabama. It was fun but I'm into game management now. Dog hunting is fun but it's pretty much if it's brown it's down.

Comment

Farmerville, Union Parish, 15 years old. They dropped me off on the "blacktop road" and said don't shoot anybody's car. My cousin was about 100 yards down the road. Dogs in the distance, closing in towards me and a doe pops out in front of me and laid her down with a load of 00 Buckshot.

Killed several deer ahead of dogs over the next couple of years. Those were fun times.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I really enjoyed it when I was a lot younger.I didn't know there was any other way until I was a teenager. When my great grandpa got so old he could barely walk, they would drive up to his spot and set him in a lawn chair before they started in with the dogs. There is something about a cool morning with no wind and hear a pack of hounds open up.

Comment

Started my deer hunting behind dogs in eastern NC. Most of the deer I shot were sneaking out around the dogs. Still lots of dog hunting in eastern NC. Love to hear those dogs in full cry.

Comment

When I was a teenager and into my twenties there was a guy who ran dogs in the Davy Crockett National Forest. I benefited from his hunts several times. Didn’t know him, he just liked to hunt the same area I did. It was illegal on fed land even back then to run dogs. I’ll have to say it was fun.

Comment

Went a few times back in the early 90s. Spent one morning behind a pack of about 30 Walker hounds and a deer's feet might touch the ground twice across a big powerline ROW! Went back with 2 small beagles and those deer would look both ways before they crossed a logging lane! Some of them folks were crazy. Drop the dogs off on your 100 acres and then hunt the rest of the parish!

Comment

Yep. Grew up in East Central Mississippi (Lauderdale County) next to the Naval Air Station. Touch and goes cover your noise very well!

My first deer at 12 was shot with a 20ga with #3 Buckshot on a old, grown over logging road with a yappy beagle hot on his track. Loved hearing the dogs run!

Comment

Working...
                          X