No announcement yet.

Auto chip shortage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was told one of the Ford dealers has a lot full of trucks without chips. Some deal they made with the manufacturer. Haven't driven by that dealer since I was told the rumor though.

Comment

Auto makers should be making record profits for what they are charging and what people are paying. Why have a thousand cars on the lot if you don't have to and no more worries about negotiating price?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got done skimming an article where Ford’s GM said he expected the shortage to last through 2023

Comment

Don’t expect to see full lots or end of year major discounts anytime soon. Auto companies have realized how to manage with small inventory. More than likely this is the future of the auto industry.

Comment

Originally posted by TXDraht View Post
            Ordered a truck Oct 8. Received build date of Dec 20 and supposed to take delivery mid-Jan. Paying sticker price.
            If your getting a new one that means that you won’t be needing that old beat up Bronco in your Avatar. Let me know if you want it gone.

Comment

You think it's hard to get a nice truck, try buying a fleet truck. Jan 2021 I ordered 7 F250s with NO bells and whistles. Vinyl seats and rubber floors. No fancy electronics. No sunroofs or sliding back glass. Still waiting, but heard we should get a couple in January. 12 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
                There still is a chip shortage. The few semiconductor companies in Texas were set back by the winter storms when electricity and gas was cut off. It can take a semi plant several months to get back into full production. Now the problems is getting chemicals and labor. I heard one company in Austin gave 7% pay raises to semiconductor workers because people were leaving.
                I work in the semiconductor industry. The chips that are in short demand are coming from China, and yes there have been issues with those factories due to power outages and such. While we do make chips for certain parts of vehicles (all brands) we have not been set back like China. We never shut down and had only a few glitches during the snowmageden. We have backup systems for those times. Yes, Samsung announced significant pay raises, due to competition. And yes, companies like mine are preparing to build new fab to make the chips that China has failed to deliver. But it will take years to build and qualify the product. We are about to finish building one and start moving in equipment with first product expected out by Oct next year.

In short, the new vehicle shortage Int going anywhere anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                  I work in the semiconductor industry. The chips that are in short demand are coming from China, and yes there have been issues with those factories due to power outages and such. While we do make chips for certain parts of vehicles (all brands) we have not been set back like China. We never shut down and had only a few glitches during the snowmageden. We have backup systems for those times. Yes, Samsung announced significant pay raises, due to competition. And yes, companies like mine are preparing to build new fab to make the chips that China has failed to deliver. But it will take years to build and qualify the product. We are about to finish building one and start moving in equipment with first product expected out by Oct next year.

I'm hoping that this whole import fiasco will lead to more US companies picking up the slack like yours is doing.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ordered an F350 XLT end of Oct. It is in transit to dealer now. Paid 1% below invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post

Yep, it’s the nature of the beast, semi is a slow process. Most of Austin semi was shutdown hard during the winter storm. We are expanding also, however we can’t fill the positions we currently have open. It’s going to be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
                        Yep, it’s the nature of the beast, semi is a slow process. Most of Austin semi was shutdown hard during the winter storm. We are expanding also, however we can’t fill the positions we currently have open. It’s going to be interesting.
                        I'm hoping for better than company average for raises. I'm not holding my breath though. [emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                          We bought a 2022 car in late June. Every bell and whistle. Paid 10K over sticker...
                          OVER? Wow, Johnny! You must have wanted it badly. What was the car?

Comment

We currently have 3 on order, all 2022’s

My yukon xl has been in order the longest and will probably get here last. I’m literally #1 on the dealers list but my order hasn’t been picked up yet.

Courts half ton truck might be here before the end of the year, likely January. We bought it as a canceled custom order that another customer couldn’t get financing for when the VIN was finalized.

My diesel truck is still in limbo, same issues as the GMC Yukon - the options we want are missing the semiconductors.

We didn’t pay sticker, but real close to it for all of them.

Comment

No chip shortage on the new Tundra, we can’t get them to the dealerships fast enough

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                                Didn't '21s just become '22s? If they vehicle had no changes from model year 21 to 22, what is to stop a manufacturer from simply saying, "ok, this is now a '22?"
                                The VIN #

Comment

Working...
                                X