Did some hunting and fishing Saturday AM. LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some hunting and fishing Saturday AM. LOL

This past Saturday it was 35degrees up here. I had a new buck patterned, the wind/front was right, so I went in. About 7:30 here he comes. Took a bit for me to get a shot off on him. As I shot, what I remember was seeing him starting to drop and spin as my arrow was getting there and I heard the 'twack'. I waited 30 minutes and went to start tracking him. I could see his tracks in the leaves, but wasn't seeing much blood at all. After about 40 yards, I saw where he literally lost control and body slammed a 6" diameter oak tree, leaving a big'ol clump of hair on it. He got his feet under him and continued back on his trail. I didn't like what I was seeing from a blood standpoint, so I backed out for an hour or so and came back. I got back on blood, kept trailing him, but just not much blood. The farther he went, he started turning toward the pond, not toward the thick woods I expected him to go to. Finally, I was convinced that's where he was going, so I knocked an arrow and stalked the rest of the way to the pond. Sure enough, there he was dead in the freakin' middle of the pond....Did I mention the 35 degrees? I called my dad to bring some towels, I didn't want to drive home to get my waders.

My biggest whitetail 148" with my trusty Destroyer 350 and Megameat broadheads.

So on the autopsy, my arrow had a huge entry hole, hit both lungs and lodged in the offside shoulder. I couldnt' get the broadhead out, just twisted the arrow lose. Still don't understand why I didn't get much blood on the trail. Water had washed any blood from the chest area. ???

Funny memory of my new biggest buck.
    Attached Files

Oh good grief lmao.... Great buck man!

Comment

Nice buck

Comment

Nice buck

Comment

I guess that's a good way to cool him down quick. They will often head for water when hit. Nice buck.

Comment

Nice catch! eh, nice shot?

Comment

That's a cool story for sure! Congratulations on a fine buck. He looks a little melanistic, no? Cape looks dark and zero white patch. Can't really see any white on him anywhere, but I guess that could be because he's wet, not sure.

In any case, he is a fine specimen of a mature buck! Glad you were able to find him, though to be truly honest with you, you know the rules... VIDEO or it didn't happen (at least on the recovery!! )

Comment

Great buck and story! I bet it was a relief to see him there floating with the hole marker like a golf green sticking out!...

Congrats to you!

Comment

I shot a wounded buck on the waters edge that proceeded to dive out into this huge tank, swim half way out into the middle of it and die. I was worried about him sinking so I jerked my clothes off and dove in. Had to swim in ice cold water for a good ways, grab the buck and pull him back in.

Congrats on your success!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

arrow plugged up the drain hole...plus it's a bit high.

Congrats on a nice buck.

Comment

nice buck and great story

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          That's a cool story for sure! Congratulations on a fine buck. He looks a little melanistic, no? Cape looks dark and zero white patch. Can't really see any white on him anywhere, but I guess that could be because he's wet, not sure.

In any case, he is a fine specimen of a mature buck! Glad you were able to find him, though to be truly honest with you, you know the rules... VIDEO or it didn't happen (at least on the recovery!! )
                          He was wet and muddy, not melanistic. Water wasn't real deep where he was, but I didn't understand why he was so muddy. My 72 year old dad was working the camera/phone for video and didn't execute very well.... LOL I was just glad he got a picture of me in the water. But he did help...LOL

Comment

Great story and really cool looking buck. Congatulations!

Comment

Good lookin deer!

Comment

Working...
                              X