Muse WMA Youth Draw Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muse WMA Youth Draw Hunt

I wasn’t able to find much on Muse WMA searching through TBH so figured I would do a quick write up of my sons hunt on a doe/spike hunt there last weekend.

My son was lucky enough to shoot a spike the first afternoon and we saw some others buck later that evening and the next morning but no other does or spikes. I believe there were 15 hunters there and to my knowledge only 4 deer were killed so wasn’t the best success rate but the biologist said they had an adult hunt a few weeks back and killed 11 deer so I’m sure that affected our hunt. We hunted out of blind #2 which is on the south side and away from all the other blinds.

The WMA has really nice blinds to hunt from and there is a cleaning rack and even a walk in cooler on site which is really convenient. The WMA staff was extremely nice and helpful which has been my experience on every draw hunt I’ve ever been on.

5 standbys showed up and all but one got to hunt. Hated it for that kid but I’ve been there and obviously the game you play going standby.

Even with the low success rate for this hunt, I will put my boys in for it again. It’s a pretty part of the state and the accommodations and staff made it a very enjoyable and relaxing hunt as all you really had to do was dump some corn out and you were ready to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rounder; 12-09-2021, 12:06 PM.

right there with ya, have never saw a report on it here either. I've applied for the Muse Adult hunts every year but never picked. Applied mainly because the success rates for most have always been very high or 100%.
    Glad you posted this, always wondered about the terrain and facilities. The cleaning station looks very sophisticated. Many of these hunts have nothing of the like.
    Were there any accommodations, like a bunkhouse or something to stay in?

Congrats to your son.

Comment

congrats to your son Stephen, draw hunts are always fun with the kids. Trace and I head to Pedernales Falls State Park for his hunt Dec 20-22. hoping for some cooler weather.

Comment

Nice! Congrats on the success and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
          right there with ya, have never saw a report on it here either. I've applied for the Muse Adult hunts every year but never picked. Applied mainly because the success rates for most have always been very high or 100%.
          Glad you posted this, always wondered about the terrain and facilities. The cleaning station looks very sophisticated. Many of these hunts have nothing of the like.
          Were there any accommodations, like a bunkhouse or something to stay in?

Congrats to your son.
          No bunkhouse or place to stay on site. We stayed at at Air BNB north of Comanche. Couple of motels that would be options in Comanche and Brownwood is a fairly short drive also.

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
          congrats to your son Stephen, draw hunts are always fun with the kids. Trace and I head to Pedernales Falls State Park for his hunt Dec 20-22. hoping for some cooler weather.
          Thank you and good luck on your hunt in a few weeks. Hoping for good weather and cooperative animals.

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
          Nice! Congrats on the success and thanks for sharing.
          Thank you.

Comment

cool, I came across Muse and hadn't heard anything about it either. My son is 6, so I'm starting to look into the youth draw hunts. I've never been drawn myself, but going to try for a standby spot at one next week.

Comment

Should have known there would be other TBHers there last weekend. The kid I took was the last standby drawn.

I’ll echo Rounders comments on the place being a great set up. We stayed in Brownwood/Early and it was just a short 20-25 minute drive to the gate.

We didn’t see much for deer, but that’s the way it goes sometimes. We saw a nice buck (off limits) and three does that blew out when they saw the gut pile left by a previous hunter at the blind we lived to for Sunday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHolliday View Post
                cool, I came across Muse and hadn't heard anything about it either. My son is 6, so I'm starting to look into the youth draw hunts. I've never been drawn myself, but going to try for a standby spot at one next week.

Standby for yourself or the kid? If it’s the kid you might want to call ahead. I think the draw system requires a minimum age (8 I think).

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                    X