No announcement yet.

Fallow, shoot or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang y’all. Y’all are literally all over the place on age.

This is my main issue but I suppose if I see him tomorrow when I’m in the stand I’ll try and decide then. I haven’t seen the larger buck that showed up four years ago so I really wouldn’t be surprised if someone shot that one. It’s a hard decision I don’t take lightly. I pass up A LOT of trophy deer because they’re simply not mature enough or I just don’t want another and want someone else to shoot them. (Like axis)

In this case, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see if he comes out. He was at two of my feeders this morning. Maybe he will pop up and give me a good long look at him. I suppose I just don’t know what exactly I’m looking for lol. They don’t look anything like axis or whitetail so it’s so hard to judge age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Choot

Comment

You may never see a mature one. I would think most would get shot if free range. Depends on neighbors I guess. Personally he would already be dead if I came across him in a low fence situation.

Comment

if you think that you would look at him on the wall down the road and be proud of the kill, then absolutely shoot. If not, then wait for a bigger one.

Comment

I've shot a few of these and it seems the mature ones have a 'hook' on the top front on each side. He does look prettyThis guy looks like he's getting those but not quite there. He could probably go another year or two and he'd probably get fuller paddles as well. Really nice fallow though as he is. I'd have a hard time not taking him if he got within bow range.

Comment

Too me, it all depends on the situation.
              I shot the fallow in my avatar that is smaller than the one you are seeing. My reasoning was we had seen pictures of similar fallow and then passed on some potential shooters for years hoping to let them grow. When that buck walked out and he was bigger than I thought in person I shot him haha. Obviously there are bigger trophies out there but on 100 acre, free-range, with a bow I was plenty excited about it.

Comment

That's a shooter to me

Comment

I'd send one down range if I had the chance.

Comment

I think that you should shoot it. I think you should give him one more year. Heck what do I know ,if I saw it I would have to look up zoo animals to figure out what it was.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                      Dang y’all. Y’all are literally all over the place on age.

This is my main issue but I suppose if I see him tomorrow when I’m in the stand I’ll try and decide then. I haven’t seen the larger buck that showed up four years ago so I really wouldn’t be surprised if someone shot that one. It’s a hard decision I don’t take lightly. I pass up A LOT of trophy deer because they’re simply not mature enough or I just don’t want another and want someone else to shoot them. (Like axis)

In this case, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see if he comes out. He was at two of my feeders this morning. Maybe he will pop up and give me a good long look at him. I suppose I just don’t know what exactly I’m looking for lol. They don’t look anything like axis or whitetail so it’s so hard to judge age.

Keep us updated, dont blame you either way you go. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        I think that you should shoot it. I think you should give him one more year. Heck what do I know ,if I saw it I would have to look up zoo animals to figure out what it was.

Lmao! Best quote. First time I saw one I had no idea what it was either. Now I know and I also know they’re tasty!

Comment

Im thinking I'd have to shoot but I've never shot one either. Good luck If you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                            Any low fence exotic chance you get take advantage of the opportunity!
                            What would you know?

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                              Lmao! Best quote. First time I saw one I had no idea what it was either. Now I know and I also know they’re tasty!

Thought that I would help [emoji1787]

Comment

I appreciate everyone’s opinions. I pondered the though for several weeks as I’ve seen this buck off and on on the cameras. I’ll surely get a better idea if he comes out. I’m sure my heart will pound and I’ll get all shaky since I’ve wanted a mature fallow for a long time. I only hope I get the feeling to shoot or not and stick with whatever my gut tells me.

I’ll keep y’all posted. Maybe I’ll do a live hunt lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X