• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tract Optics. Toric scopes.

Comment

Huskemaw blue diamond.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
        I have a browning ab3 .300 win mag. I am wanting a scope for it, I want to be able to hit 400-600 yard shots easily. But, also wanting to stay below about $1000. Maybe a little over. What's your suggestion?

What are you wanting to do with the rifle? No offense but “hit 400-600 shots easily” is very vague. 400-600 yds is not a long shot with a rifle that is precise enough.

2” groups at 100yds works out to 12” groups at 600yds….that doesn’t take into account variations in muzzle velocity. Are you wanting to shoot targets at those ranges or hunt? Do you have the ability to practice at those ranges?

I believe the priorities for someone who is wanting to start stretching things out are:

1. You have to have a rifle/load that is capable of placing rounds consistently into a group smaller than the target you are trying to hit at the range you are shooting at. Without this, your scope doesn’t matter.

2. Quality rings/bases. You hear about people saying every year …”my scope got knocked off”. With quality rings and bases this won’t happen.

3. A scope that tracks correctly. It has to move 0.7 mils when you dial 0.7 mils. When you return to zero it must return to zero.

4. Decent optical quality. To me this is the least important thing. You’re shooting, not taking high quality pictures at 600yds.

I love the glass in the VX5. I’m not crazy about the elevation turret precision. I also have a Primary Arms G series with the Apollo reticle. If I am honest I can see a tiny bit of difference at the high end between the 2 scopes. When it comes to the mechanics the PA smokes the Leupold.

I’m general you can have great glass, great mechanics, or both. Getting both is where you start spending big bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Zeiss V4

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            How are the turrets on those?
            Capped and no zero stop. However the reticle is pretty user friendly and the glass is pretty good.

Is it a VX-5? No. But you can buy 4 of them for the price of one VX-5 haha.

Comment

Zeiss all day

Comment

I have a browning ab3 .300 win mag. I am wanting a scope for it, I want to be able to hit 400-600 yard shots easily. But, also wanting to stay below about $1000. Maybe a little over. What's your suggestion?
                Give Trijicon a look. Extremely rugged, very bright and improved pricing.
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  What are you wanting to do with the rifle? No offense but “hit 400-600 shots easily” is very vague. 400-600 yds is not a long shot with a rifle that is precise enough.

2” groups at 100yds works out to 12” groups at 600yds….that doesn’t take into account variations in muzzle velocity. Are you wanting to shoot targets at those ranges or hunt? Do you have the ability to practice at those ranges?

I believe the priorities for someone who is wanting to start stretching things out are:

1. You have to have a rifle/load that is capable of placing rounds consistently into a group smaller than the target you are trying to hit at the range you are shooting at. Without this, your scope doesn’t matter.

2. Quality rings/bases. You hear about people saying every year …”my scope got knocked off”. With quality rings and bases this won’t happen.

3. A scope that tracks correctly. It has to move 0.7 mils when you dial 0.7 mils. When you return to zero it must return to zero.

4. Decent optical quality. To me this is the least important thing. You’re shooting, not taking high quality pictures at 600yds.

I love the glass in the VX5. I’m not crazy about the elevation turret precision. I also have a Primary Arms G series with the Apollo reticle. If I am honest I can see a tiny bit of difference at the high end between the 2 scopes. When it comes to the mechanics the PA smokes the Leupold.

I’m general you can have great glass, great mechanics, or both. Getting both is where you start spending big bucks.

This man gets it

Comment

Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44

Comment

Burris eliminator 3. Hands down. And get the 50 mm. Thank me later.

Comment

I have a Meopta MeoPro 6.5-20×50 HTR and like it better than the Leopold's that I've had at the same price point.

Comment

Some of these answers are comical at best haha. Think it’s why folks get mad at folks attempting long shots on game. Some of these are asking for disaster

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Some of these answers are comical at best haha. Think it’s why folks get mad at folks attempting long shots on game. Some of these are asking for disaster

Maybe we should have a sticky thread that says “never shoot at an animal at a range you have not practiced at”.

….my uncle shoots a 7mag. He holds dead on out to 4 hunert yards…..

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              Maybe we should have a sticky thread that says “never shoot at an animal at a range you have not practiced at”.

….my uncle shoots a 7mag. He holds dead on out to 4 hunert yards…..

No sticky needed. It’s called common sense.

Comment

All my hunting rifles have BDC reticle scopes. I run the numbers and I get real-life trigger time at distances to make sure all matches up. Then of course the time for a shot comes and it's 211 yards. Thankful for the practice and knowing if I need to make a long shot I could, but also thankful to make a one-shot stop on a mature buck. By the way, plus one on the Meopta MeoPro glass and not just because I am doing some work with Meoipta, but because they make great glass.

Comment

Working...
                                X