Looking for Chaparral WMA wisdom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Chaparral WMA wisdom.

We have FINALLY been drawn, after 12 years, for the December archery hunt. I have never been there so its foreign country to me.
    Looking for any pointers that are not considered top secret..
    What are the better pastures or are they all decent/about the same?
    I have been told that there are more javelina in areas and very few in others..
    I do not care if I ever see another javelina so Im good there..
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.. It will be quite the adventure at any rate..

Dang wrong forum.... Not sure how to move it..

Comment

Big darn rattlesnakes everywhere. We drew spring turkey tags at Chapp in the early 2000's. Shot some nice gobblers.... but the rattlesnakes were errywhere

Comment

Originally posted by nushagak View Post
        Big darn rattlesnakes everywhere. We drew spring turkey tags at Chapp in the early 2000's. Shot some nice gobblers.... but the rattlesnakes were errywhere
        That don't surprise me at all. Never been there, but been all around that area. Seen some very healthy snakes in that area.

Comment

<-------- He came from there about 12 years ago.

Comment

Take a cell phone, with a battery backup, use Google Maps and take a compass. Wear snake protection.

Comment

A portable, light weight tripod will come in handy. Can you use corn on your hunt?

Comment

Take a compass and know where your at,it's a big place and lots of it looks the same.

Comment

On the Kerr WMA thread it was mentioned there's a friendly rivalry between the two WMAs.

Go tell a staff member the Kerr guys say they put their hunters on bigger deer than them. Then wait to be pointed in the right direction

Comment

When we went in 2019, I know I saw way more deer from a brush blind than I did from a brushed in popup. Those deer seem to be able to spot a popup blind from a mile away. Make sure you bring plenty of corn, the javis will hoover it up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can kill a trophy buck in any of the pastures. The biologist will tell you where they have seen good deer in your assigned pasture. They normally corn prior to the hunts especially the youth hunts. Everything down there will stick you. If you hunt a pop up brush it in good and then brush it in more. I use long sleeve welding gloves to brush in a blind. Put out corn and plenty of cameras. Good luck I'll be there trying to get drawn as a standby. If you have rattling horns and grunt/snort whiz call bring them. My general rule is start rattling in south Texas December 1. Plan on sitting all day especially if it turns cool.

Comment

I was there last year for the mgmt hunt and all I did was tuck my pop up under a mesquite tree on the edge of the road and had a nice 9pt at 50 yards. I did the same about 2 years ago on an archery hunt and had a couple of bucks come through just out of range. I’ve been told if you’re using a tripod, a short 4-6 ft one works best.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas.. Keep it coming..

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            You can kill a trophy buck in any of the pastures. The biologist will tell you where they have seen good deer in your assigned pasture. They normally corn prior to the hunts especially the youth hunts. Everything down there will stick you. If you hunt a pop up brush it in good and then brush it in more. I use long sleeve welding gloves to brush in a blind. Put out corn and plenty of cameras. Good luck I'll be there trying to get drawn as a standby. If you have rattling horns and grunt/snort whiz call bring them. My general rule is start rattling in south Texas December 1. Plan on sitting all day especially if it turns cool.
                            Yes cameras and rattling horns are definitely in my bag of tricks I'll be bringing.. I am a big fan of natural brush blinds over any type of pop up. I've killed plenty over the years right off the ground.. Popups seem to spook some deer I've noticed plus I like to be low profile. The lower the better. Dig a hole to put my feet in and set on a cushion, butt flat on the ground..

Comment

If you get pasture 5 PM me I was in it last year

Comment

Working...
                              X