Arrow Configuration Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Configuration Opinions

So I'm the guy who bought a new bow 3 weeks into archery season. 1st new bow in 12 years. I went with an all new arrow setup, and I want to make sure I didn't jump off the deep end and wind up with something that may not tune well. I am NOT bow tuning guy, I actually know very little about it. I got my old bow tuned when I got it, and never changed anything. I never shoot at deer over 30 yards (never shot at one over 27), but I'll shoot at pigs at 50 if I'm bored.

New Bow

Mathews V3 27, approx 28.5" draw. It's maxed out and I would guess about 68lbs, but that is largely a guess.

New Arrow

Easton Axis 5mm 300, 10.7gpi @ 28.25"
    75gr SS Outserts
    9gr nock
    3 Blazers
    125gr heads

I make this out to be about 529grs and 14.8% FOC. That is a little heavier than I planned, because the arrow is a little longer than my old ones, and I underestimated the weight of the Blazers.

Would I be better off going back to 100gr heads?

Like I said, I don't know much about new bow tuning, I just wanted to go back to a heavier arrow, and this is where I wound up because I'm an impulse guy and didn't do as much research as I should have.

What do yall think?

Have you tuned the bow yet? I’d have 100 grain points on hand in case 125 is too much. Just helped a good friend set up his V3 (took advantage of the Texas Archery deal) and he ended up at 68#, 28” DL, 31” easton axis .260 spine with 50 grain inserts and 125 grain points. Pretty slick set up and very quiet. The arrow hitting the target was louder than the bow going off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      Have you tuned the bow yet? I’d have 100 grain points on hand in case 125 is too much. Just helped a good friend set up his V3 (took advantage of the Texas Archery deal) and he ended up at 68#, 28” DL, 31” easton axis .260 spine with 50 grain inserts and 125 grain points. Pretty slick set up and very quiet. The arrow hitting the target was louder than the bow going off!

I havn't had time to do anything but sight in purely by adjusting the sight. Truth be told, I'll probly get the guys at one of the local pro shops to help me tune it in the next few weeks.

For now I'm gonna sight in at 25 with broadheads and hunt this weekend, but I won't be able to do that until Friday.

The bow is super quiet, like you said...all I really hear is the arrow smack the target at 20.

I'm also learning that my eyes aren't what they used to be, and this new smaller pin, and peep, may have to be changed out. But for the time being I've got 3 touching at 20 with the 4th inside an inch and a half.

Comment

I can't imagine those would be a problem to tune.
        I would probably spin test the arrows just for grins, mainly because of the outserts.
        That sounds like about a perfect setup for what you are using them for. I wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

Arrows should tune out fine with your specs. +/- 25 grains of tip weight isn’t a deal breaker either way in performance but one may tune a little better than other so that’s where I would base the decision on the matter. 25 grains doesn’t hurt on the chrono either so again I would shoot what’s the most tune friendly.

[emoji1662]

Comment

I shoot 530 grain arrows from a 60lb bow. 28" draw. Bow is quieter with the heavier arrows. You will be fine with those arrows and you can get the bow tuned. When you say you will get help from the pro shop to tune it make sure you are doing the shooting and not them. No one can tune your bow but you because no one will shoot your bow like you. Your grip, your form, your stance will be like no one elses. Good pro shop guys know this and they will have you shoot while they make the proper adjustments. I'm not a paper tuning guy. I bare shaft tune starting at about 15 yards. If you can get a bare shaft flying straight out to 20 yards consistently your bow is tuned and your form is good and 99% chance you will not have to do any broadhead tuning. Those arrows will eat up deer. I shot one at 20 yards on Saturday quartering hard away from high up in a tree. Arrow entered right behind rib cage just below spine, exited opposite arm pit, re-entered shank portion of leg, shattered the bone and exited. 2 pass throughs in one shot. QAD exodus is my head of choice
            Last edited by Duckologist; 11-11-2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I havn't had time to do anything but sight in purely by adjusting the sight. Truth be told, I'll probly get the guys at one of the local pro shops to help me tune it in the next few weeks.

For now I'm gonna sight in at 25 with broadheads and hunt this weekend, but I won't be able to do that until Friday.

The bow is super quiet, like you said...all I really hear is the arrow smack the target at 20.

I'm also learning that my eyes aren't what they used to be, and this new smaller pin, and peep, may have to be changed out. But for the time being I've got 3 touching at 20 with the 4th inside an inch and a half.
              I think the arra is good. I bet it's just getting-used-to-new-bow syndrome. Start back at the basics first, stance, grip, anchor point, peep alignment. Number your arras to see if you got one out of whack.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                I think the arra is good. I bet it's just getting-used-to-new-bow syndrome. Start back at the basics first, stance, grip, anchor point, peep alignment. Number your arras to see if you got one out of whack.
                We need to tune that bow 1st

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

So I'm the guy who bought a new bow 3 weeks into archery season. 1st new bow in 12 years. I went with an all new arrow setup, and I want to make sure I didn't jump off the deep end and wind up with something that may not tune well. I am NOT bow tuning guy, I actually know very little about it. I got my old bow tuned when I got it, and never changed anything. I never shoot at deer over 30 yards (never shot at one over 27), but I'll shoot at pigs at 50 if I'm bored.

New Bow

Mathews V3 27, approx 28.5" draw. It's maxed out and I would guess about 68lbs, but that is largely a guess.

New Arrow

Easton Axis 5mm 300, 10.7gpi @ 28.25"
                  75gr SS Outserts
                  9gr nock
                  3 Blazers
                  125gr heads

I make this out to be about 529grs and 14.8% FOC. That is a little heavier than I planned, because the arrow is a little longer than my old ones, and I underestimated the weight of the Blazers.

Would I be better off going back to 100gr heads?

Like I said, I don't know much about new bow tuning, I just wanted to go back to a heavier arrow, and this is where I wound up because I'm an impulse guy and didn't do as much research as I should have.

What do yall think?

This is the exact arrow I shoot out of my triax at about 60 lbs. And it is the exact set up my buddy shoots out of his V3 at about 65 lbs. They work great.

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen.

Comment

I think you're setup fine. I'm 29", 29" arrows, 125gr head, 70ish lbs., 300 arrows.
                      Last edited by Casey; 11-11-2021, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I'd stick with the 125 grain to keep a little better FOC. At 50 yards and under you won't have that much additional drop off due to 25 grains.

Comment

Depending on the sight you may be able to get a larger pin. I’d get some help if you want, but you’re the only person that can tune the bow. I’d cut the fletchings off an arrow and shoot it with your fletched arrows before really getting some solid marks. That’s if the broadheads don’t fly well. Optimal set up would have them hitting together but in a pinch getting set up to 25 will work so long as the arrow isn’t flying sideways to the target lol

Comment

You should be good.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X