Lease Hunter or Non Lease Hunter State of Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease Hunter or Non Lease Hunter State of Texas

Just curious, not making this a contest of which is preferable. Just looking for numbers to satisfy my brain lol.

Do you hunt a managed lease, yes or no?

Depends on what manage means!!!
    So, yes, I managed to kill a deer as well as the others!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
      Depends on what manage means!!!
      So, yes, I managed to kill a deer as well as the others!!!
      If there are rules on the lease created to manage better and bigger deer vs. my neighbor lets me hunt his back 40 for 50 bucks and I can kill whatever I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
        If there are rules on the lease created to manage better and bigger deer vs. my neighbor lets me hunt his back 40 for 50 bucks and I can kill whatever I want.
        Then no. But must be a legal deer.

Comment

Yes and No. We hunt for big deer. We let them grow. We talk about and kill deer that we do not think will help the overall idea of getting bigger deer.
          20years of doing this and yes we have bigger better younger deer.
          small dirt so we keep it quiet and do not kill does.
          Boys always find the girls when its time

Comment

Lease boss on a property we lease and manage... rules are pretty basic but we shoot mature deer.

Comment

I hunt about 500 acres in DeWitt county. The owner and I have a pretty sweet deal. I hunt full time and he just brings his grandkids down a few times each season. We were one of the first counties to have the antler restrictions put into place. We were a one buck county 10-12 years ago - no does during a season. We have pretty crappy soil there so I pour the protein and cotton seed to them as much as I can. When I started hunting some 30 years ago you shot anything with antlers it seemed. The antler restrictions were the best thing to put in place to help to get deer to a decent age before shooting. We now have a local management group of local land owners that covers a majority of about a 5 miles radius around me. We are all on board with letting deer hit maturity and taking culls (even if it only makes a small small dent in deer genetics) and let the others go to full potential. We meet a couple of times a year for a dove stew or something and chat about what we are seeing and plans for the season. We even invite the game warden to come in.
              I now regularly see 5-7 year old deer now and have them up to about 155". Outstanding for my area and the food sources there available. I will add this whole area is of course low fence. It's amazing what can happen when you get a group of neighbors all in the same mind set. I don't need another 120-130" 3-4 year old 8 or 10 point - I want that cool cull buck or that 6-7 year old 150" plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies96 View Post
                I hunt about 500 acres in DeWitt county. The owner and I have a pretty sweet deal. I hunt full time and he just brings his grandkids down a few times each season. We were one of the first counties to have the antler restrictions put into place. We were a one buck county 10-12 years ago - no does during a season. We have pretty crappy soil there so I pour the protein and cotton seed to them as much as I can. When I started hunting some 30 years ago you shot anything with antlers it seemed. The antler restrictions were the best thing to put in place to help to get deer to a decent age before shooting. We now have a local management group of local land owners that covers a majority of about a 5 miles radius around me. We are all on board with letting deer hit maturity and taking culls (even if it only makes a small small dent in deer genetics) and let the others go to full potential. We meet a couple of times a year for a dove stew or something and chat about what we are seeing and plans for the season. We even invite the game warden to come in.
                I now regularly see 5-7 year old deer now and have them up to about 155". Outstanding for my area and the food sources there available. I will add this whole area is of course low fence. It's amazing what can happen when you get a group of neighbors all in the same mind set. I don't need another 120-130" 3-4 year old 8 or 10 point - I want that cool cull buck or that 6-7 year old 150" plus.
                I'll add we do have MLD tags for does. We try to keep our ratio in check with yearly counts. With the MLDs we have till the end of February to kill them so I like to wait till after regular season. As someone else mentioned - you have the girls the guys will come.

Comment

I’ll add my .02 cents.
                  I have access to roughly 200 acres in East Texas. Pretty sweet deal with the landowner. Good ole boy system. I can hunt all I want as long as I shoot every hog I see. He lets me hunt any deer I want as long as it’s legal and we just added another 20(ish) acres to the huntable land and still growing.

Its just me and my brother hunting and this is my only place at the moment. Don’t really have any management rules per se, just make sure he’s greater than 13” as long as he makes your heart jump. We are in it to have fun and my kind of fun is chasing deer 4+ years of age. We don’t really shoot does. No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunt my own place.
                    Not managed.
                    Last edited by Brute Killer; 11-10-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

We own 300 acres in Tx. and are Managing for bigger Deer...
                      My FIL place in Oklahoma , Not so much They are Ruthless..Lol
                      Last edited by BigOh!; 11-10-2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

no. went Public.
                        Hunting deer went down on my list of priorities.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Yes

Comment

No

Comment

Working...
                              X