No announcement yet.

Is it more worth it to buy or lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like the others said. I couldn’t just hunt a little parcel of land, and that’s all I could afford. I’d rather pay to have access to thousands of acres.

Comment

All good points, Thanx, keep em coming

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
        I have done both but I got really tired of hunting on leases. I hunted on some really good leases and met some really good people doing it. I have had great success hunting on leases as well. But the last lease did me in. I own several pieces of land that I run cows and bale hay on where I live. Along with those properties I get to deer hunt on them as well. Where I live the price per acre is to expensive to just buy to hunt. So I decided to head North into Oklahoma where the land was about 1/3 of the cost, bow season was longer, (no offense to gun hunters) gun season is extremely short, taxes are cheap and I'll stop there with the reasons. There is a lot of fun getting your own place setup the way you want to do it. Land is a great investment!

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
        All depends on want YOU want. We bought & I could hunt anywhere in Tx for what it cost me for land & upkeep. We don't have a big place,but I enjoy not dealing with leasing issues & hunter drama. To me watching my place come along & the satisfaction of hunting my place is WAY better than any lease.
        Well said gents! With your budget I would cross TX off the list and be looking North of the Red River! As many have stated, after owning I could never go back to leasing!

Comment

If you are looking at out of state land boardering on public that may be the ticket. What is the access to that public land? How far away is it and how often can you get there? How much pressure after the first two weeks does the public land get?

Several years ago I gave up leasing in Texas and decided I would do diy public in Colorado and Wyoming. I plan to add New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa and nebraska. I'm back hunting in Texas but on public land. For the cost of a lease I can hunt a week in the west. With leasemates you typically can't still hunt much, you can't run n gun. It's put up your feeder and see what comes in. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just looking for a different experience.

Comment

All very good points

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
              Buy if you can

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

You can lease it for 1000 years for what you can buy it for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When you buy you'll never find a note on the gate saying you have 15 days to remove you property unless you don't pay your taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
                  When you buy you'll never find a note on the gate saying you have 15 days to remove you property unless you don't pay your taxes.
                  When you lease you never get a letter in the mail saying property taxes went up 35%... again

Comment

It’s not an apples to apples comparison. Even as relatively expensive leases are- it doesn’t hold a candle to the expenses of purchasing and maintaining land.

The experiences are very different between a quality large acre lease and small tract hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      When you lease you never get a letter in the mail saying property taxes went up 35%... again
                      LOL! True story! But when your landowner just lets you hunt to pay his property taxes and HE gets that letter your lease fees just went up!

Comment

i think you have advantages to both.

I think a lease with like minded folks that has a good lease would be ideal.

I hunt public and it can be boring at times. You finish hunting and you're back at the house.

Miss being on a lease and the comroderiy

Comment

I don’t think anybody’s money has ever appreciated from spending it on a lease; the same is not true for purchasing land.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            How about letters kicking you off a lease?

Comment

I doubt I will ever be able to buy a place big enough to enjoy hunting all the time. So lease is the only option.

Comment

700 acs with a house on it. If I can get that for about $241/mo......sign me up!

Comment

Working...
                                X