TiN coating on firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TiN coating on firearms

I wanted to just show a couple of pics of a TiN coating I had done to my old 870. I got this 870 Express when I was 10 or 11 years old. Shot thousands of shells out of it goose, duck, and cove. Now it serves as a home defense. The coating was done by a Houston company.
    Attached Files

My advice is to NOT do this if you have a very broken in gun with a super slick action. The action feels like I have to break it in over again. When ammo gets cheaper I will try to run alot of rounds in it to "slick" it up again.

Comment

Now that's funny!!

Comment

That’s nice! Get the rest of the gun Cerakoated?

Comment

Even though it has the express finish that rust when you look at at, I spray it with WD-40 long term rust inhibitor and scrub it with a wire brush it cleans up nice.

Sooner or later I will probably duracoat it along with a few others.

Comment

Guess that’s what I need to do. Mine looks like garbage.

Comment

This is the one I have been using.

Comment

Originally posted by matagordian View Post
                Even though it has the express finish that rust when you look at at, I spray it with WD-40 long term rust inhibitor and scrub it with a wire brush it cleans up nice.

Sooner or later I will probably duracoat it along with a few others.
                Just for future info, WD-40 is not a rust inhibitor, it has good purposes, but rust inhibitor is not one of them. Try about any gun oil, probably not the Remington dry lube, if you are trying to prevent rust, just a plane, light oil, not solvent, or penetrating oil, or product that's supposed to break rusted bolts free, just a oil. LPS-3, is a very good product, actually LPS makes multiple good products. WD-40 evaporates and leaves nothing on the surface.

As for the TiN coating, never seen it done to anything other than drill bits, end mills, or other metal cutting bits. They work great till the TiN coating wears, then instantly, they are extremely dull, even though they look fine. Never thought about coating gun parts with TiN coating, should be fairly tough, won't rust. Definitely a different idea for the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  Just for future info, WD-40 is not a rust inhibitor, it has good purposes, but rust inhibitor is not one of them. Try about any gun oil, probably not the Remington dry lube, if you are trying to prevent rust, just a plane, light oil, not solvent, or penetrating oil, or product that's supposed to break rusted bolts free, just a oil. LPS-3, is a very good product, actually LPS makes multiple good products. WD-40 evaporates and leaves nothing on the surface.

As for the TiN coating, never seen it done to anything other than drill bits, end mills, or other metal cutting bits. They work great till the TiN coating wears, then instantly, they are extremely dull, even though they look fine. Never thought about coating gun parts with TiN coating, should be fairly tough, won't rust. Definitely a different idea for the problem.
                  He’s NOT referring to regular WD40. They sell several products with the WD40 name but it’s not what you’re thinking. I’ve used a different WD40 product on hay balers that doesn’t attract dust. It’s not the original product people think of when WD40 is mentioned. Look it up.

Comment

By: DIY_guy We all want to use goods quality products on our guns, bows, fishing gear, knives, autos, hunting and lake front gear and like you I?m not a fan of letting things get rust on them nor am I a fan of items wearing out prematurely. To protect my investment in gear, I began

46 products tested.
                    TLDR wd40 long tern rust inhibitor, frog lube provided best rust protection. Also some youtube videos on brake drum that have similar outcomes.

Comment

Yep Crook your about to shoot will probably wana look at it as his dying wish...

Comment

Get the whole thing "gold plated"

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9aBXIom9EuM"]Forcing Hickok to review Guns he's uncomfortable with... - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

xd

I also did my xd-9 barrel. I am ashamed, but I like it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X