Big Life Decision (Lost on what to do)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Life Decision (Lost on what to do)

Wish i could sit around a drink a cold one with some of y’all to talk about this but that’s not reality right now. (Probably more of a vent than looking for solid advice from the green screen)

So here I sit into my 21st year of service in the Air Force, a position I was planning to retire from prior to COVID. Now I have been given an unexpected opportunity to attend a Masters degree program which comes with basically a 5 year commitment. This would most likely enable me to get at least two more promotions if I stick it out for another 10 years.

Prior to COVID I was planning to retire and get an airline job, was about 3 months from being done with the military.

So now I’m super torn. On one hand, I know the school opportunity comes with basically with a service commitment to 2025/6, 1-2 years of sitting in an office vice flying and 3 moves within 3-4 years. It also would give me a Masters in Operations Mgmt. Also, it would provide me a pathway to make Lt Col and most likely become a commander. I love mentoring and taking care of people and was always my goal before i left the service. It also provides a ton of long term financial stability for my family and a higher retirement pay.

On the other hand the airlines are all hiring and to get in on the leading edge of the next hiring wave would be great. The seniority could provide more in the long run than the added money in the retirement difference. Then again that assumption comes with never losing my ability to fly aircraft for a living and never seeing furloughs like we saw last year.

So now I sit here, being offered a career I dreamed of having, but had given up on, and the alternative of just dropping said opportunity and waiting on a call from the airlines. I can stay in for quite a few years if I don’t go to the school but the school gives me the biggest return on investment for the military promotion and highest probability of becoming a commander.

I know it’s a great problem to have in a way but it’s still a tough decision to make. It was so much easier when the choice seemingly was made for me, when I thought my chances of being a commander were done.

Any military/airline guys out there? Thoughts?

Do what you love and make less or do something you would be ok doing (not necessarily excited) and make quite a bit more (to the tune of 40-60k per year, yes airline pilots make good money)?

I’m struggling with this decision more than any decision I have ever made in my life. My family will support me regardless and are up for the challenge. My wife is retiring from the military this summer regardless so we don’t have to worry about her ability to work. She’s just going to enjoy mom life.

We have prayed together, alone and generally I feel peace with either route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airlines are starting to hiring and make a come back. But who is to say the next "pandemic" that shuts the world down isn't just a year or 2 away? Then you are out looking for a job again. I would stick with the military for a guaranteed career, plus it is something you love.

Comment

Great situation you've worked your way into, congrats and thank you for your service! Based on what you've shared I think I'd lean the airline route. Once you've got some seniority the schedule can be really great as well as earning potential. Yes there were some major furloughs last year and nothing is guaranteed, but to me there's lots of upside. Good luck! Not sure there's a wrong answer here.

Comment

Do what gets you in a position to retire and not worry about issues like this the fastest. That is my advice. Im 51 and retired and living every minute of it

Comment

You already know what to do, you're just trying to talk yourself out of it. The family supports you. You can live comfortably without the extra money and the headaches that invariably come with it. Health care is taken care of. Plus, there's never any firm guarantee of your future ability to continue flying. Since you can, enjoy your job and time with the family.

Comment

My thoughts,
            Time with your family/kids is not replaceable.
            I have never regretted a day spent hunting ,fishing or vacationing with my family.
            Money comes and goes; how you spent your time is what will matter when your days are over.
            Thank you for your service and I hope you find peace either way

Comment

Originally posted by Tmill View Post

So now I sit here, being offered a career I dreamed of having
              That sentence sounds like you answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Do what gets you in a position to retire and not worry about issues like this the fastest. That is my advice. Im 51 and retired and living every minute of it

This! Thanks for your service!

Comment

Military sounds like the logical choice to me.

I would think a commercial airline pilot has the be one of the boringest job, especially on long flights.
                  Last edited by Burnadell; 05-18-2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Very strong advice here from someone experiencing the dream. The years will fly by in a hurry and it sounds like the ball is in your court so to speak. The military sounds like a good choice.

Comment

We aren't promised tomorrow. Doesn't mean don't plan for retirement, but in your case, working a mediocre job because it gets you to retirement faster sounds like a bad idea.

Comment

Looking back at my life if I were in your position I would stick it out in the Air Force without a doubt, a guaranteed solid deal is far better than a possible great deal with no guarantees of what the future holds.

Comment

There is no “on the other hand”.

Take ALL retirement at the first available date then put your eggs in another basket. You have earned EVERYTHING you need to earn from the Military. Every day you serve over your retirement eligibility you are working for half price.

Don’t be institutionalized, afraid, nor lazy…Punch !

If you are the type that has to stay busy, follow my dad’s example. He has retired from 4 institutions. One where the company sold to a larger one, he retired from with only 8 years working there. My dad is different from me, he actually said “I can only hunt & fish so much, I gotta go to work”.

Nobody ever listens to me anyway, I retired at 39

Best of luck
                          Last edited by Johnny44; 05-18-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

You sold me at "Do what you love"....
                            Like the saying- Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life. I give that advice all the time. I am mid-career and hate what I do. The money has me handcuffed to it. Don't do that.

Comment

To me the military is about as sure thing as you can get. Especially given the uncertain economic times we are in right now. Iraq and Afgahnistan are winding down meaning less chance of deployments. No doubt it's a tough decision, but you've put yourself in a good position.Good Luck.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                              X