Somebody Havked My Info & Filed For Unemployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody Havked My Info & Filed For Unemployment

I’m at work today and HR calls to ask me if I filed for unemployment due to my “permanent layoff”. What?!? I was 1 of 4 that got hacked and the city received unemployment paperwork on. Somebody, somehow got my name, address, date of employment, current rank and social security number. I have no idea how but if they have my employment hire date and current rank, wouldn’t that lead to believe they hacked my works system?
    What should I do to lock this down? I know my stuff was compromised back when equifax (or whoever the creditor was) was hacked. They offered $150 or 7 years credit monitoring/protection. Should I notify them? I have no idea what to do in this situation.

You can put out a credit lock on all three credit agencies and nobody will be able to get credit unless you approve it. They will notify you if anyone tries to apply for anything.

Comment

You can contact all 3 credit bureaus and put a credit freeze on your files. That will prevent anyone from getting a credit report that is normally required when applying for a new loan. If you need to allow a credit report to be pulled you can ask the lender which one they use, and then have the freeze lifted to allow them to pull the report. Then put the freeze back on once they're done.

Comment

Dang! Yes...contact equifax if you took the 7 year protection option.

My wife and I have credit and ID theft monitoring through Zander.

Good luck MrLFD.

Comment

Same stuff happened to a few guys at work. One of them twice now.

Comment

My wife rcvd an email that this was happening in her dept too. She works for the state in the Health & Human Services department, which is freaking HUGE! Oddly in the notification there was no mention of their database being compromised, but that seems the only plausible scenario

Comment

I've heard of this scam as well. Sorry for the inconvenience, hoping it gets straightened out without incident.

Comment

Bummer, it's happening everywhere. I saw multiple calls for service go out yesterday for the same thing. I also heard that there may have been a breech in TMRS that is why so many municipalities are being effected.

Comment

Originally posted by Crookhunter View Post
                  Bummer, it's happening everywhere. I saw multiple calls for service go out yesterday for the same thing. I also heard that there may have been a breech in TMRS that is why so many municipalities are being effected.
                  Crap. That might be where they got it!

Comment

Happened to me. Work recommended I report it to the TWC hot line, which I did, leaving a voicemail as you are prompted to do so and have heard nothing back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Happed to me Friday.

Filed fraud through twc and then put a freeze alert on my credit

This is where I went

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                        Happened to me. Work recommended I report it to the TWC hot line, which I did, leaving a voicemail as you are prompted to do so and have heard nothing back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I called and left a voicemail as well as my employer sending all the proper paperwork into them.

I called equifax and couldn’t really understand the foreign person on the other end. They did say nothing has been done on my credit and the credit monitoring/fraud protection, that they told me in 2017 was going into effect immediately, never went into effect and she doesn’t see where they owe it to me. Such a crock of crap!!! I got nowhere with her and eventually just hung up as she was as incompetent as a poop house rat.

Comment

Man that stinks! I don’t ever hear of anyone ever getting prosecuted for these types of crimes, so it only continues to get worse. The perps have nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                            I called and left a voicemail as well as my employer sending all the proper paperwork into them.

I called equifax and couldn’t really understand the foreign person on the other end. They did say nothing has been done on my credit and the credit monitoring/fraud protection, that they told me in 2017 was going into effect immediately, never went into effect and she doesn’t see where they owe it to me. Such a crock of crap!!! I got nowhere with her and eventually just hung up as she was as incompetent as a poop house rat.
                            I think all three ratings bureaus have apps nowadays where you can set up an account for yourself and turn a credit freeze on/off anytime you want to. Of course, you can also pull a credit report to see if there's any activity that you didn't authorize. Trying to call them is a pain.

Comment

Definitely use a source like lifelock, or manually do all three agencies as your ssn was compromised. Sorry man.

Comment

Working...
                              X