A monster . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A monster . .

Found this behind my camp at Tbend . . WOW . . 18 inches wide . . Would have made a hellacious turtle sauce piquant . .

Biggun for sure

Always wanted one of those big snapper shells but never wanted to kill one to get it.

Murdered many a pond turtle but never killed a snapper

Comment

Biggest I've ever seen was on TB about 30 years ago. It came up for air next to the boat and looked like a dang sea turtle. Swear it was 30" across it's back.

Comment

That's an alligator snapper too... Very much protected now (at least in Texas)... Common snapper is not... They get REAL BIG!

Edit to add Pic: They get big!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BigSnappingTurtle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	24645954
        Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 03-12-2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I caught one in Village creek on a trot line about 60 lbs he was almost dead I got him cut loose he looked like a dinosaur.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
            I caught one in Village creek on a trot line about 60 lbs he was almost dead I got him cut loose he looked like a dinosaur.
            they are dinosaurs!, which part of the creek,,, i live on 418

Comment

Was trotlining in the Chattahoochee River between Alabama and Georgia about 30 years ago and I felt like I had a waterlogged trunk on the line---got it up beside the boat and I swear it was 24" across. I could see the hook was just behind his outer jaw--not swallowed. Went on and finished the run, and when I went back to take care of it--it was gone. Long before cell phone cameras so no pic.

Check out the head on this one--and it;s not my pic

Comment

We had one that lived in a drainage ditch by my parents house when I was growing up. It was easily two feet across his back. My parents have lived there for almost 30 years and they’ve only seen him about 5 or six times crossing the road. I actually called the Houston Zoo one time to see if they would come get him.

Comment

Pulled this guy out of Fork a few yrs ago.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    Biggun for sure

Always wanted one of those big snapper shells but never wanted to kill one to get it.

Murdered many a pond turtle but never killed a snapper
                    This right here. They are so cool

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad used to catch a few like that on Catfish Creek on Gus Engeling WMA. Them suckers can get big for sure. Makes you wonder what age they are

Comment

I found this one in a pile of silt i was pulling out of our pond. Scooped him up, washed him off in the water and let him go. Not a chance in heck i would attempt picking up like some of you, i value my hands. 30 years ago we found a similar size one in our yard after heavy rains. With one bite it crushed a stick we were using to move it on.

Comment

FYI...you can't keep any part of an alligator snapper. They're protected

Comment

Does the alligator snapper get bigger than the common?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
                              FYI...you can't keep any part of an alligator snapper. They're protected
                              ^^^^ This right here.

Comment

Working...
                              X