deer meat in ice chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deer meat in ice chest

What's the longest you feel comfortable with deer meat on ice draining it everyday and making sure the ice is full before you de-bone and package it?

I personally like 3 days or so but i have done it up to a week. Maybe 8-9 days if i was too busy to get to it right away. No problem.

Comment

Longer than most think

Comment

As long as it stays cold and not wet there's nothing wrong with a week or so. It'll age well.

Comment

A week.. No longer

Comment

I go 3 days to a week on mine.

Comment

I leave plug out. Don't let it sit in bloody water. 7 days

Comment

Ten.

I have gone 10 days with absolutely no problems. Just got really busy but the meat was really soaked out well. It was delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  Longer than most think
                  this^^^ personally I like to wait between 3-5 days most I have gone was 7. I have seen some guys go almost two weeks and say it was perfectly fine.

Comment

I go 3-7 days usually but have gone 2 weeks before when I had to wait because of time. Drain the water daily and keep it covered in ice

Comment

I leave the plug out so water don't pool up, but have left it for 9 days one time. It was just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LloydMcCoy View Post
                        I leave plug out. Don't let it sit in bloody water. 7 days
                        I did this once in a lil warmer weather. Flys got in. My meat was ruined. Be careful.

Comment

I just kept 3 does for a week. Left drain open, cooler tilted, and inside my shop. I used a 5 gallon bucket to catch melt. No issues at all. Probably could have gone longer.

Comment

I usually go 7, but have gone 10 with no issues

Comment

Five to Seven days. Kind of like eradictator eluded to...it could go longer. In my opinion as long as you keep it cold, dry and the meat rotated you could go longer. Think about how long beef ages. I know circumstances are a little different, but hopefully a more knowledgeable meat proccesor will chime in.

Comment

Working...
                              X