Mini Split AC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chadhender View Post
    I have a 3 car garage and have the one car part sectioned off with the plastic slats that you see on a walk in cooler. I also have the door insulated. I run a York 12k btu and it will get that side of the garage colder than the house in 30-40 min during a summer day.
    He's using a 12k to cool the equivalent of half your garage.
    So 24k = your garage(Insulated).
    You said you may insulate the door.
    If there's a chance you won't, then I would go bigger especially if it will only run when you're out there.
    It's all pretty simple, and I'm a "more is better than not enough" type a guy.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
      i installed the mr cool home depot going on 2 yrs now and it has been the best money ive spent in a while

this one has federal and local rebates that will get you 600$ back

best of all its all DIY and super easy to install, comes precharged you just have to open the lines when you hook it all up

How bad was running the electrical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
        I got the 220 installed and ready. I see some using 12k and others suggesting 30k plus. The garage is basically 20 x 20 and I will be insulating starting next week. Is it better to go 30k plus?
        When you say you got the 220 installed, what did you run, 14?
        What size breaker?

Comment

FYI we insulated a shop door with the foam board insulation and some old cut up vinyl blinds we used as slats to hold the foam in place worked good. And super cheap.

Comment

I've seen a few of these lately and they were working great. I may get one for our upstairs if I ever finish it out.

Comment

Called AC company today about getting one installed and they told me they don’t work on garages until the fall because they focus on homes during hot months. I told them thanks and I will find a company who will install now.

Comment

Not sure if this is out of ignorance or for a reason but when we have mini splits on my commercial construction jobs for server/IDF closets they are always Mitsubishi.

Comment

Have three Daiken at our Okie place for 7 years no problems until this past weekend. One unit would not come on had an error light. Called friend that does AC up there he came out and it was low on freon. Working fine now. Hope it doesn't have a leak.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    When you say you got the 220 installed, what did you run, 14?
                    What size breaker?
                    I don’t know size of the wire.I had electricians come out and install.
                    I had one 220 for the mini split and another 220 for a welder. We talked about using 50 amp breakers but I am not sure what they did. When I get home tomorrow evening. I am sure they did it right, I have used the guys for our other shops for several years.

Comment

The electrical requirements will vary with the size of the system. Once you settle on the brand and size, check the tech specs for the voltage and amps for the specific model you intend to go with.

Here's an article on matching the wire to the circuit:
                      https://www.thespruce.com/matching-w...perage-1152865

For my 12K MrCool, I needed to run a 110V line and add a 20A breaker. I used 12/2 wire based on the amperage needed.

Comment

Have someone run a load calc to determine size.

I sell Daikin and typically a 2-car garage will have 18k, depending on orientation, insulation, and comfort requirements. A co-worker just put a 9k in his 1-car garage and is happy with it. I’ve used 12s and 24s before too. Can’t imagine it needing more than 24 if it’s insulated.

Comment

Most of these 220v units will either need a 15 or 20a circuit so odds are your wire is fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X