X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad your dad is OK

Curious to see what the Hornady folks have to say

Comment

Wow, glad he’s ok. Please let us know how Hornady handles the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
        That cartridge looks like it was tampered with after it was loaded. A split neck like that could have been caused by someone trying to remove the crimped in bullet. HMR brass is thin and lots of rifles split a number of the necks on firing, depending on chamber dimensions.That's really no big deal, But that cartridge having a split neck, a flattened bullet nose, and what looks like scrape marks on the bullet right out of the box is interesting. Hornady may or may not have had anything to do with that. If there were a number of rounds like that, I'd be tempted to pull the bullet out of one of the affected rounds, and another "normal" round and weigh and visually inspect the powder charge..Of course Hornady might want all the ammunition back to do their own evaluation...
        Of course it looks tampered with, he had to beat it out of the chamber from the business end. What would you expect it to look like?

Comment

So how far did the bullet make it into the rifling? Did it blow the head off the casing?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
            I just said lot, I was referring to all of the numbers. I looked these boxes over and don't see an actual lot number

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
            The lot # should be on the side of the box in black ink. May have rubbed off.
            Lots of issues with older ammo having split necks. Not so many as of recent.

How old is the ammo?

Comment

I would check the barrel. That's very odd, that the round went off and did that much damage to the gun and the bullet is still in the case. I would check to make sure the barrel is obstruction free.

That whole deal does not make much sense, how the gun suffered so much damage and nothing ruptured, related to the chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                The lot # should be on the side of the box in black ink. May have rubbed off.
                Lots of issues with older ammo having split necks. Not so many as of recent.

How old is the ammo?
                Makes sense, the place i bought them from has their big sticker on one side. I tried to peel it off but no Bueno.

Comment

This is very interesting. The same thing happened to me 10 years ago with a synthetic stock savage. Same ammo as well. I fired one round and somehow diddint notice the bullet diddint exit the barrel. When the next round fired the stock cracked at the pistol grip, blew the magazine out and several rounds went off when they hit the weight pan on the led sled. I picked brass splinters out of my face with tweezers for days

Comment

Well crap.
                    Sounds like hornady has a serious issue thank you for sharing
                    Glad to see you are ok.

What’s the next best ammo option ? This is disappointing. I love the .17HMR

Comment

Hmm. I have like 17 boxes of that ammo and have shot 5 or 6 since having the rifle. Havent had an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        I would check the barrel. That's very odd, that the round went off and did that much damage to the gun and the bullet is still in the case. I would check to make sure the barrel is obstruction free.

That whole deal does not make much sense, how the gun suffered so much damage and nothing ruptured, related to the chamber.
                        I know the OP said they pounded the bullet back down to the case from the muzzle end, but I have to agree with you. The amount of damage to the gun says bore obstruction to me.

I talked to Hornady just today about some 300 ACC cartridges that I have that have a split in the case mouth. The boxes have been sitting for a couple of years and Hornady rep was great on the phone this morning. They are replacing my two boxes. The rep then told me that if the cartridges are stored with gun cleaning supplies, the ammonia fumes from the copper solvent will corrode the brass. He also said they have been seeing this with ammo in the south where there has been a lot of flooding and people are cleaning with a lot of ammonia or chlorine bleach. The last thing he said is this happens when people polish their brass with Brasso and don't rinse off the chemical.. Brasso has a lot of ammonia in it.

I am really interested to find out what Hornady says about this gun.

Comment

Just wanted to provide a update

Sent photos and a explanation to Hornady and they are now asking me to ship in the rifle and ammo.

We shall see what happens.

Comment

Figured I would update the thread.

In April Hornady confirmed that Savage is send them a new stock and it sounds like they will be replacing the ammo we went back which is all I could as for.

As of yesterday they are still waiting on a stock from Savage.

Heading in the right direction but just a slow timeline but cant complain to much as of yet.

Comment

Glad to see that being done for you.

Hopefully it all pans out sooner than later.

Comment

UPDATE

Well.... About 2 months ago Hornady received the new stock and was about to ship it to me when their in house smith was testing the firearm when he noticed excessive head space so they sent it to Savage and it was repaired for that also.

Today it showed up at my local dealer with 500 rounds of ammo in tow. Only took 350 days (obviously excessive because of everything going on in the world so not much they can do) from start to finish but it is fixed.

Props to Hornady Support for taking care of things.

Comment

Working...
                                X