Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
    Nice review.
    My kayak doesn't track well at all. In fact it fish tails while paddling. I got a rudder to install in hopes that will work well. The fish tailing wastes a lot of physical energy to the trip.
    My main complaint is drifting with the wind. I have to anchor up if on fish. And sometimes the wind swings me to an odd angle.
    As you said, the fish may not like the noise of paddling to hold position.
    Admittedly, I'm a rookie with a Perception Pescador 100. It has virtually no keel at all.
    Buy you an anchor trolley. Best 30$ you can spend on a fishing kayak. Super easy to install and completely fixes the problem of drifting and being swung out at an odd angle. I’m a rookie myself with a cheap 400$ yak and no intentions of ever stepping up to anything nicer or more expensive but that 30$ is well worth it.

Comment

I use a Kaku Voodoo for fishing the back marshes. It will float me and my gear in 2"-3" of water. Perfect for sight casting Reds in laces most people can't get to.

Last edited by coolhand; 06-03-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
        I marsh fish a lot, I've been kayak fishing for about 20 years. I still do. The thing about the pedal drive is you need a foot and a half of water under you to use it. A kayak is a way to drop in a hard to get marsh, if it's a long distance your better off in a jon boat. And the kayaks now a days are very heavy and expensive. There's no perfect boat or kayak. Make sure you get one that's good for what you want to do.
        Great point! I think the advantage of the "fin" style drives over the propeller style is that they still allow you to "flutter" in very shallow water.

I have an anchor trolley on my other kayak and it makes a huge difference. It's pretty easy to drop an anchor over the side and position yourself to fish an area.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Jen and I have the Wilderness Ride 115. I think the radar took its place. I know I tip over less than when I paddled Michael’s spare one . I love the seat and that it has plenty of beer storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Great point! I think the advantage of the "fin" style drives over the propeller style is that they still allow you to "flutter" in very shallow water.

I have an anchor trolley on my other kayak and it makes a huge difference. It's pretty easy to drop an anchor over the side and position yourself to fish an area.

The Hobie drives do allow some use in shallow water, but they have some disadvantages over the prop units. Having to switch to reverse the Hobie drive is a pain, and the prop drives are generally faster with fewer mechanical issues. I use a propel drive on my Native Manta, and fish a lot of shallow water. I use the drive when I can, and pull it up to paddle when necessary. Being able to instantly reverse to hold or adjust position means you can stay on fish better. I hit some trout pretty good in Galveston last weekend, and I wouldn't have done as well without the prop drive to hold my position and move with the school.

Comment

The thing I like about the Hobie style drive is that the fins fold back if you bottom out so you don't tear them up. You can then pull up the drive easily and paddle or push pole in skinny water. The prop style drives don't fold back from what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                You are right on the spendy part, Kevin. I would like to have the peddle drive but for $1300 or so dollars for the drive and rudder, I can paddle just fine. If yak fishing was my passion it would be one thing but up here in Wyoming, I recreational kayak more than I fish out of it.
                I envy you being able to kayak there. We did the Snake River Rafting trip, both scenic and whitewater last week. Granted....I don't think I could do parts of the whitewater sections in my kayak..... but most of that day, I was wishing I was in my own kayak for sure. Such an incredibly beautiful area.

You are very lucky to live in such an amazing place!

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  The Hobie drives do allow some use in shallow water, but they have some disadvantages over the prop units. Having to switch to reverse the Hobie drive is a pain, and the prop drives are generally faster with fewer mechanical issues. I use a propel drive on my Native Manta, and fish a lot of shallow water. I use the drive when I can, and pull it up to paddle when necessary. Being able to instantly reverse to hold or adjust position means you can stay on fish better. I hit some trout pretty good in Galveston last weekend, and I wouldn't have done as well without the prop drive to hold my position and move with the school.
                  Native and Bonafide merged. I was hoping this might mean there might be renewed development of a pedal drive for the SS127. I'm not ready to add pedals just yet, but it would be nice to have the option in the future.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                    I envy you being able to kayak there. We did the Snake River Rafting trip, both scenic and whitewater last week. Granted....I don't think I could do parts of the whitewater sections in my kayak..... but most of that day, I was wishing I was in my own kayak for sure. Such an incredibly beautiful area.

I think the sit inside kayaks are better for that heavy duty whitewater, but the scenic parts would be a blast. I'm in!

Comment

Awesome review and can’t wait to see more. I follow Robert Field and his kayak fishing adventures on YouTube. He partnered with a company to make a Hobie clone basically. It’s lightning kayaks https://lightningkayaks.com/. About half the price of a Hobie.

Comment

I just bought me a new to me 2019 Hobie Outback. Finally got to take it out last weekend. Im very impressed.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post

Thank you, Mary. It is beautiful here and I remember you saying on a post you were coming up here to vacation. I hope you guys had a great time.
                          I have whitewater rafted the Snake a number of times but would never kayak it. Lunchcounter is bad enough in a raft, let alone a kayak!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great video and review, Michael! I had not even heard of Bona-fide kayaks til now. I just upgraded to a Hobie Mirage Passport 12.0. Previously been using an Ascend10t and its been a good kayak. I mostly fish local area lakes and I'm tired of paddling which is why I upgraded. Hoping to fish some saltwater once or twice a year with it.

Comment

Just remember that with peddle drive that you can also paddle it and it will paddle just like the same model with out the peddle drive. I have 2 Natives with the peddle drive and love them. I bought one off here for a thousand and one off a fly fishing site for $1300 so it wasn't all that expensive to go peddle.

Comment

Great job Michael! Enjoyed the video!

Comment

Working...
                                X