Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinquapin Oak slow to leaf out

Chinquapin Oak

(Not to be confused with Allegheny Chinquapin chestnut)

I've always had good luck planting trees....I think I'm at 18 successful transplants around the yard including another Chinquapin in the back.

I planted this Chinquapin about a month ago. It's around 8-9' tall. It has small buds but just won't leaf out. The tree is alive. The cambium is green in the trunk and limbs. But it's the only tree for miles that doesn't have leaves yet.

I'm betting it will pop within the next month, but I'm a little worried I wasted $300.

Any thoughts???

maybe try a little fertilizer to give it a little 'bump'?

Comment

Give it another week.

Comment

I have a saw tooth oak that hasn’t leafed out along with a lot of my neighbors. I’m nervous but hoping soon also...

Comment

Different oaks but several of my oaks that I planted last year are moving slow as well. I bet they come on in a week or two. The snow really set them back.

-john

Comment

I feel a little better now

Comment

I planted 5 Chinquapin oaks and only two are leafing out at this time. I am concerned like you, however I think a little more time will make a difference. Mine are green when you scratch the bark. I see many post oaks that are fully leafed out and some that are just budding. It’s a crazy spring for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
                I planted 5 Chinquapin oaks and only two are leafing out at this time. I am concerned like you, however I think a little more time will make a difference. Mine are green when you scratch the bark. I see many post oaks that are fully leafed out and some that are just budding. It’s a crazy spring for sure!
                10-4

My Chinquapin in the backyard is looking good. It leafed out 2 weeks ago. It's probably a few years older and has been in the ground for 4 years.

Comment

I have 2 red oaks in the yard that have not put on leaves in the crown. Both close to 30" bases and close to house.

I am very concerned and hope they make it

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    I have 2 red oaks in the yard that have not put on leaves in the crown. Both close to 30" bases and close to house.

I am very concerned and hope they make it
                    We have a neighbor with a red oak about the same size doing the same thing. Bottom half looks really healthy and the top half is bare.

Comment

I have a lot of oaks dying , lots dead . Can’t get the extension agent to get out of his office to come lol at them .

Comment

My overcup oak was the last tree to bud out this spring, even after my pecans. She's just now putting on leaves.

Comment

Cambium is still green.

Buds don't look like they're going to do anything. They crumble to the touch.

Comment

I just had a huge oak pretty close to our bedroom taken down two weeks ago. It never came back and wasn't going to. We have red oak, white oak, post oak, water oaks, white ash, etc on our property and all of them look healthy so far.

Comment

It will be fine. Chinquapin oaks grow in much colder areas than a 4 day freeze in Texas. I’m certain that Illinois to Michigan gets and stays colder than a Texas winter could ever think of doing

Comment

Working...
                              X