seperation issues with dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seperation issues with dog

Daughter just got a 4 yr old Lab Pit mix male, he is very smart and gentle. the problem is that if my daughter leaves him alone for anytime he will tare things up or just cries.
    Any body have some advice.

Originally posted by wow View Post
    Daughter just got a 4 yr old Lab Pit mix male, he is very smart and gentle. the problem is that if my daughter leaves him alone for anytime he will tare things up or just cries.
    Any body have some advice.
    Is he left to roam the house or is he kenneled when she is gone? If kenneled throw a pair of jeans or shirt in the kennel with him

Comment

Our dog grabs my shoes and my wives shoes and drags them out into the living room floor. He doesn't tear them up but just brings them out. I guess our feet have a stronger odor that comforts him? Heck idk

Comment

Got a silver lab last year from a friend who couldn't care for her anymore that was around 9 months old.. sevwr separation anxiety. We would leave and kenneled her in one of those plain wire kennels.. she would absolutely destroy the thing to the point she tore her face up and had some bad scars.

We ended up getting a crate made of square tubing so she couldn't hurt herself, but she still bent up a few bars in it. After about 2 months of leaving her in it while we were away and having her sleep in it at night, she chilled out and I guess realized that we always came back for her. Now we don't use it except for when we leave for more than 6-8hrs and that's really it just to be safe.. doubt she would do anything now and is a GREAT dog!

Good luck just be patient!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

He will not kennel so he can roam.
          He lived with his first owner anf the owner had to move and couldnt take the dog.

Comment

Get him use to a kennel by throwing treats or some dog food in there. It might take awhile but be consistent

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

My GSP is terrible with this. I had to buy a good kennel. She will now go in it with treats. She tore up all the beds we bought for her. Finally bought some cheep fleece blankets. We started covering her up with us when we were watching tv. The scent must have attached and calmed her. Now if it has been a while she will get the blanket out and bring it to us to rescent. She still goes crazy when we get home though.

Comment

Originally posted by wow View Post
                He will not kennel so he can roam.
                He lived with his first owner anf the owner had to move and couldnt take the dog.
                Not sure I understand your first sentence.
                Inside dog or outside?

Comment

Lots of exercise, also start with small separation times in kennel with y’all in the room close by increasing the amount of time slowly. CBD as well could help. It’s also good to train them to give you space while not in the kennel, not in lap or sitting at your feet. Make them sit across the room and stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a kennel that is not too big and not too many holes in it. Leave door off and put whatever dog lays on in it. Every couple hours throw a small piece of lunchmeat or hamburger in it. Soon dog will easily go in kennel. When you are sitting around kennel put dog in and close door. That dog will make it their place. Cant use a kennel as punishment or just throw them in it and expect them to like it

Comment

We have a boxer with major separation issues and we tried all sorts of kennels and nothing worked. Honestly the only thing that calmed him was getting another dog so he had a companion while we were away.

Comment

This is from the ASPCA.
                        One of the most common behavior issues pet parents encounter with their dogs is separation anxiety. If your dog is distressed when you’re not home, learn more about how to train your dog to enjoy, or at least tolerate, being left alone.

Maybe doggie Prozac, might help.

Comment

Originally posted by day0082 View Post
                          Maybe doggie Prozac, might help.
                          We did this for our dog... it helped for his anxiety while we were around, but proved ineffective once he was kenneled and left alone.

Comment

You gotta kennel train a dog and make it the right kennel. I use a roto molded kennel and have a cover that goes over it when we leave. When we are at home he is told to lay in it most of the time with the door open. Kennel will work with every dog just not every dog owner

Comment

This is what we travel with- Its roto molded and dog can not tear it up. Dog goes after it sometimes as he is in a strange place or he can hear strangers. I got this at Orvis. My dog has been a spaz since kid went to college. He wrecked a PetsMart plastic kennel in less than an hour- Chew sides up and could fit out so he bent the gate arms. This one he can go after with fury and just give up. It is heavy and around $300 are the two negatives
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X