Generator plugged into outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
    Just turn off your main, pick a larger breaker that is not used like a 30A for your dryer if you have gas, and wire your generator in there. This is not rocket science.
    This is what my electrician buddy told me could be done

Comment

This has to be a joke right omg

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
        This has to be a joke right omg
        Wheres the punchline?

Comment

I did this, I’m telling you don’t do it. I was early twenties and had bought my first house and thought I knew a lot. Power was out due to a storm so I rigged up an Adam and Steve extension cord, shut off my main breaker and plugged in to an outside outlet. Later in the afternoon I noticed my neighbors garage door open and I thought I’d quick test the beaker as I had throughout the day, but this time I forgot to unplug the cord. Bad idea. Smoked a basically new Honda generator instantly. Luckily that was the only casualty. We remodeled a few years later and found out I’d melted some wires pretty badly. It could have been bad, luckily I was the only victim.
          If you choose to add a legitimate back up generator, know there is some regular maintenance such as oil changes and cycling it regularly. If it has a fuel tank, you’ll want to check it for condensation and consider a water separator and fuel filter, as well as keeping extras on hand. Hornets and all sorts of pests like to make a home in them, especially in a summer storm. On top of that, if you have close by neighbors, they love to string a cord to their freezer- c-pap etc. Be ready to help others out and upset some when you’re at capacity.
          Last edited by Txtourist; 02-15-2021, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
            It can be done.
            But unless you REALLY know what you are doing. You can kill someone.
            The easiest way to back feed your home is through the dryer receptacle.

Make sure your main breaker is off! Cannot stress that enough!

You need a 4 wire cord of#10,8 or 6 wire with two male ends,Keep cord as short as possible( one male to fit the 30a 220v receptacle on your Genset and the other male plug for the 220v dryer outlet. Make sure both ends are plugged in and the Genset is grounded. Start gen and use power sparingly. Keep in mind your dryer outlet is only set up for 30amps#10 wire. Do not overload the circuit You will blow the dryer breaker if you go beyond 30amps.
            You will have enough to power a well, run the fridge some lights and a few outlets. But not all at the same time. The well needs the full 30amps for startup.
            Pay attention to the neighbor's lights coming back on when the power comes back, if you do not have a warning light/signal/alarm hooked up to the street side of the meter to tell you the power has been turned back on.

You can do the same with your electric stove outlet(220v also) instead of the dryer. The stove will have a larger wire back to the panel. But most of the time the Genset will not provide enough power to work the 60amps that stoves demand. But you could get more power if the Gen could provide more.

Don't try this unless you know what you are doing. I'm serious.
            Best of luck to all y'all that are affected by this.
            Spot on example of how to do this

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
              I did this, I’m telling you don’t do it. I was early twenties and had bought my first house and thought I knew a lot. Power was out due to a storm so I rigged up an Adam and Steve extension cord, shut off my main breaker and plugged in to an outside outlet. Later in the afternoon I noticed my neighbors garage door open and I thought I’d quick test the beaker as I had throughout the day, but this time I forgot to unplug the cord. Bad idea. Smoked a basically new Honda generator instantly. Luckily that was the only casualty. We remodeled a few years later and found out I’d melted some wires pretty badly. It could have been bad, luckily I was the only victim.
              If you choose to add a legitimate back up generator, know there is some regular maintenance such as oil changes and cycling it regularly. If it has a fuel tank, you’ll want to check it for condensation and consider a water separator and fuel filter, as well as keeping extras on hand. Hornets and all sorts of pests like to make a home in them, especially in a summer storm. On top of that, if you have close by neighbors, they love to string a cord to their freezer- c-pap etc. Be ready to help others out and upset some when you’re at capacity.
              Spot on example of how NOT to do this

Will be hooking up my gen, tomorrow.

Comment

make sure your insurance is paid up and don't have a dumb azz clause in it.

don't do it, just run extension cords to what you need power to.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  This is what my electrician buddy told me could be done
                  are you sure this guy is really your buddy???

Comment

NEVER back feed into your service(back to the transformer)because you can kill a man and/or burn up some equipment..... NEVER EVER try to back feed through a 110v outlet.. You will have major problems... 220v only(2 hots and a neutral)..

If you throw your main(turn it off)you can back feed to your breaker panel through a 220v wall receptacle using a generator with a 220v outlet but check a wiring schematic for proper wiring of the end the plug that will plug into the 220 wall receptacle if it is an older 3 prong.. Generators these days are four prong at the 30 amp plug while some older homes, like mine, have 3 prong receptacles. They also make an adapter.
                    A 220v welding machine receptacle is what I had installed in my garage when I had it built, just for this purpose....
                    Your breaker panel is grounded at your house, the same ground it uses for the power coming in from your service.
                    Your wiring or panel does not know, nor does it care, where the power is coming from.
                    Last edited by PondPopper; 02-15-2021, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      Your wiring or panel does not know, nor does it care, where the power is coming from.

Power transformers work on both electrical directions. From 10 or 20,000 volts to 220 to your home and just as well 220 to 10 or 20,000 volts on the power lines.

You could kill a lineman making a storm related repair thinking the line has no power.

Plug your critical appliances into the generator recepticals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I bought my house it came with a outside generator outlet. They have a generator dedicated breaker that you could close when you wanted to back feed. You need to make dann sure you have the main off. They even tied a little light to the main that would turn on when power was restored so you didn’t have to run a check. Never tried to use is, but I think it goes to saying if you don’t know what your doing don’t jerry rig it and injure you or someone else.

Comment

We recently bought a the working stalls, barns, and corrals from a working dairy, that was built in the late 1950's. It has three phase power, as well as standard 120V power and 220v power.

I am in the process of re-working the power grid. Guess what? Nothing is grounded. Nothing is GCFI. Nothing shorted out, and nothing burned, after 60 years of operation.

I am having to replace power lines from the transformers, due to those lines wearing out.

When Elmo Parker built this system, 60 years ago, do you think he was following the NEC 2020 code? Could he have afforded to?

EF the code. Let us folks do what we know. Code compliance is behavior compliance, not safety compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            NEVER back feed into your service(back to the transformer)because you can kill a man and/or burn up some equipment.
                            Why aren't they not trained to test for a back feed, before connecting? If they are afraid for their life, over this, it seems pretty obvious.

The answer is, this is not a real problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              Power transformers work on both electrical directions. From 10 or 20,000 volts to 220 to your home and just as well 220 to 10 or 20,000 volts on the power lines.

You could kill a lineman making a storm related repair thinking the line has no power.

Plug your critical appliances into the generator recepticals.

How can it back feed to the service if the main breaker is open? It can't.

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
                                Why aren't they not trained to test for a back feed, before connecting? If they are afraid for their life, over this, it seems pretty obvious.

The answer is, this is not a real problem.
                                They do not touch anything without testing..

Comment

Working...
                                X