Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 10-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
Codyrgrs
Eight Point

Hunt In: Real County
Default Real County and Surrounds Areas

We have been hunting outside leakey since 2012 and have had a lot of different game come through our small tract of property. Axis were really good in the area from 2012-216 and really havent had them show up much since then. Plenty of pigs to go around for everyone and turkeys are hit and miss depending where they set up roosts at. Have had black buck lingering around daily with having some holes in hog panel fence where they can come through. Some possible stag/elk bulls on property and some decent whitetail that have been growing.

Curious to see who is around the areas of leakey, rocksprings, mountain home, campwood, concan, vanderpool, medina, and what changes you have seen in terms of head count of game and what has moved in or out in the past 10 years. There have been sightings of black bear and mountain lions non stop this year curious to see if they are ranging out and becoming more popular on rural properties.
Attached Images

Codyrgrs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Codyrgrs
Eight Point

Old 10-04-2020, 09:20 PM   #3
joel45acp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

So I’m in Edwards Co on Hwy 41 just inside the county line. I bought my place in March of 2019. I immediately placed a feeder out and within 3 days I had pigs and WT almost daily. I’ve had Elk cows, Fallow does, Aoudads, 1 Sika nubbin buck and a small Axis buck on camera. I have very very few WT in my area. Game numbers are very low here too thus the reason I haven’t shot anything yet. Folks around here have the “brown is down” mentality. I love my place cuz it’s mine but unfortunately I can’t control what the nutt jobs around me do.

https://imgur.com/a/IHJtjRY

https://imgur.com/a/sQzIHwR

Last edited by joel45acp; 10-04-2020 at 09:27 PM.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
Longue Carabine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County

How far East have the bear sightings been?
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #5
Reel cajun
Four Point

Default Real County

WT, Red Stag, Sika, Auodad, a couple of Elk And a couple of Axis in last couple of years and plenty of pigs. Had this place since 2017.
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=657577
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Codyrgrs
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
So Iím in Edwards Co on Hwy 41 just inside the county line. I bought my place in March of 2019. I immediately placed a feeder out and within 3 days I had pigs and WT almost daily. Iíve had Elk cows, Fallow does, Aoudads, 1 Sika nubbin buck and a small Axis buck on camera. I have very very few WT in my area. Game numbers are very low here too thus the reason I havenít shot anything yet. Folks around here have the ďbrown is downĒ mentality. I love my place cuz itís mine but unfortunately I canít control what the nutt jobs around me do.

https://imgur.com/a/IHJtjRY

https://imgur.com/a/sQzIHwR
Definitely understand especially with the poaching going on around your area as well. Axis numbers have dropped with poachers and high fence places going up.
Old 11-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfighterx1 View Post
We have been hunting outside leakey since 2012 and have had a lot of different game come through our small tract of property. Axis were really good in the area from 2012-216 and really havent had them show up much since then. Plenty of pigs to go around for everyone and turkeys are hit and miss depending where they set up roosts at. Have had black buck lingering around daily with having some holes in hog panel fence where they can come through. Some possible stag/elk bulls on property and some decent whitetail that have been growing.

Curious to see who is around the areas of leakey, rocksprings, mountain home, campwood, concan, vanderpool, medina, and what changes you have seen in terms of head count of game and what has moved in or out in the past 10 years. There have been sightings of black bear and mountain lions non stop this year curious to see if they are ranging out and becoming more popular on rural properties.
Can u give me some idea of were outside of leakey?..

North, east, south, west?....

Curious because im currently hunting west of leakey and have been north of it a few seasons ago as well....we haven't seen much activity either....been dismal
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
ETXHunter99
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Are you on HF?
ETXHunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETXHunter99 View Post
Are you on HF?

If this was directed at me - NO
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #11
Codyrgrs
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEREKG22 View Post
Can u give me some idea of were outside of leakey?..

North, east, south, west?....

Curious because im currently hunting west of leakey and have been north of it a few seasons ago as well....we haven't seen much activity either....been dismal
in between leakey and campwood, about 7 miles west of leakey.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #12
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Buddies place outside of Leakey was loaded with axis until about 6-7 years ago. You could drive the ranch and see over 100 head at any given time...now your lucky to see 5 or so while driving around. Still plenty of WT some fallow turkeys and pigs. They have been starting to see some red stags in the last 2 years though. Still not sure what happened to all the axis.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #13
Codyrgrs
Eight Point

I think the high fence properties are one way trapping them, at least thats what the feed store dude told me.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #14
Hardware
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

Drought will push animals around and currently pretty severe in the area.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #15
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

I always see advertisements for trapping axis in all the area feed stores and processors
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 08:05 PM   #16
Codyrgrs
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
I always see advertisements for trapping axis in all the area feed stores and processors
definitely lots of trapping done by high fence game ranches. seems like more and more are going up out our direction
Old 04-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #17
TCB
Ten Point

I've hunted a buddies place for 25+ years around Campwood. The trapping is incredibly frustrating and has impacted axis numbers at times. He countered the trapping with increasing food and put 7 water stations out on 400 acres so the animals don't need to leave his place. Axis numbers are excellent and he has one on camera would pull $4000+ on a HF ranch, it's a freaking beast.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #18
Codyrgrs
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
I've hunted a buddies place for 25+ years around Campwood. The trapping is incredibly frustrating and has impacted axis numbers at times. He countered the trapping with increasing food and put 7 water stations out on 400 acres so the animals don't need to leave his place. Axis numbers are excellent and he has one on camera would pull $4000+ on a HF ranch, it's a freaking beast.
Wow that is one way to get after it!!! We have 2 water spots on 50 acres, 3 feeders, 1 protein, 2 Chaffee feeders as well. It seems to be getting worse the past few years, and with axis roaming it makes them an easy target.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:46 PM   #19
Reel cajun
Four Point

Iím 7.5 miles West of Leakey, Axis are around but Iím told not like they used to be, maybe trapping. Iíve been told in bad drought years they head to the rivers? I have 6-water stations out now and 4-protein feeders and we keep alfalfa out in feed pens. Have seen Cow Elk on game camera and Red Stag but they come and go.
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #20
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Axis which belong to the state like whitetails are being trapped and sold to high fence ranches. Seems like the tpwd would stop this crap.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #21
Stetsonoverton
Four Point

Hunt In: Motley, Kent counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Axis which belong to the state like whitetails are being trapped and sold to high fence ranches. Seems like the tpwd would stop this crap.
this is no different than people trapping hogs.
Stetsonoverton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #22
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Axis are not owned by the state of Texas. They are an exotic and not even listed as a game animal in Texas.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #23
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Quote:
You might want to read into what the term "exotic" means and what that implies.
SuperExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #24
Codyrgrs
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel cajun View Post
Iím 7.5 miles West of Leakey, Axis are around but Iím told not like they used to be, maybe trapping. Iíve been told in bad drought years they head to the rivers? I have 6-water stations out now and 4-protein feeders and we keep alfalfa out in feed pens. Have seen Cow Elk on game camera and Red Stag but they come and go.
Are you off 337?