Bought a new battery last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a new battery last night

Went to Autozone to purchase a battery and saw the sticker price of $135. That led me thinking to one time in high school when I had to buy a battery for my 84 blazer and it was only $80.

So I ask, what gives with the prices? how do they almost double the price in 10 years. The guy behind the counter informed me that there are now only 2 battery manufactures in the U.S. There is Walmart and everyone else. So no matter what battery you buy, it's pretty much going to the same man.

When I used to sell them back in the lat 80s and early 90s, they were $25-$39..

I'm assuming they have been regulated to death with the lead and acid in them causing them to raise their prices...but that's just a WAG....

Comment

I just bought an Interstate battery for the wife's Explorer from Costco for $79

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        When I used to sell them back in the lat 80s and early 90s, they were $25-$39..

I'm assuming they have been regulated to death with the lead and acid in them causing them to raise their prices...but that's just a WAG....
        A pretty good one. With all the regs on on lead, battery prices have gone up a bunch. That and the auto parts stores prices are crazy high. I picked up 3 deep cycle 27 series batteries from academy last year for $69 each and they are more than double that at orileys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually go to interstate batteries and ask if they have any "scratch & Dents". It is usually just cosmetic damage (paint ) and they are more than half off the original price.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
            I usually go to interstate batteries and ask if they have any "scratch & Dents". It is usually just cosmetic damage (paint ) and they are more than half off the original price.

That's good info!!

I'm gonna hit them up.

Comment

I manage a Interstate Batteries and you can get a "used" or "refurbished" battery for pretty cheap. What really drives the price up on the batteries is the cost of lead and the hazmat side of things with OSHA.

Comment

Working...
              X