Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	25161464

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181007_193647__1539197579_67226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	25161465

I have been blessed to get to hunt a great piece Kansas each year with a good friend of mine. It has produced some really nice deer over the years including a 173” I took two years ago. The land owner (Mr. Rick) took a 198” typical 5 years ago.

I generally make my trip with a few others in early November. But this past Friday evening the Mr. Rick sent me updated game cam pictures that had a unique buck showing up like clockwork to the same feeder for the last week. I showed my wife and she suggested I just drive up a kill him before he changed his pattern. I laughed….. Its not that easy. But it did make me think. After looking at my calendar and realizing I could take Monday off, I started giving it some real thought. By the time we got home from dinner at 9:30 Friday night I had decided to make a run up the next morning. I could make a Saturday evening hunt and both hunts on Saturday before having to drive back Monday to be at work on Tuesday. Some thought I was crazy, but I had faith.

I left at 4am and made the trip in 10 hours exactly. The Mr. Rick and I climbed into stands approximately 350 yards apart but separated by very large sandhills which makes it almost like hunting in separate counties. I was all set up in at the spot this deer had been hitting every afternoon for the last week. Guess where he shows up on this day…………… Yep, right in front of the Mr. Rick, 350 yards away. And he stayed there for an hour. Mr. Rick kept sending me pics and videos, and no matter how hard I pleaded he would not shoot him. He was saving him for me.

It rained all night that night and rained on us all morning as we sat for 4-1/2 soaking wet in 43 degree temps to very little deer movement. The rain persisted all day, with a break at about 4, so we jumped in the truck and made our way back out in 4-wheel drive and through some pretty hairy conditions.

We swapped spots this time and I knew exactly when this old boy should be showing up. That time came, and he was late…… The rain had slowed to a solid mist and occasional light rain. I scanned every inch of the country I could see and did not see him and saw very few deer moving. About the 30 minute till dark mark, I was starting to believe all those that told me I was crazy for driving 20 hours to make three sits in hope of killing a mature Kansas buck.

And that is when it happened. Out of the corner of my eye I catch bright white antler. He had snuck in behind me and was on a straight path to the feeder. Within 30 seconds I had released an arrow and he had made the 30 yard run past my position in a big cottonwood tree, stopped for a little wobble and dropped D E A D right there.

It had all come together. It did not come easy. Everything I owned was soaking wet. I still had a 10+ hour drive home to go, but it was all well worth it.
    Not nearly the biggest buck in that part of the world, or even the biggest I have take in the area, but he has tons of character. Tall brow tines, split G2, 20” wide, 37”+ in mass and ivory white horns. Rough scored just over 152”. Will put a better tape on him in a few days when I get caught up. But it really won’t matter. It was a great adventure and YOU GOTTA LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.
    Attached Files

Congrats on a great buck and whirlwind trip.

Comment

Awesome buck! Awesome to close the deal on a short trip

Comment

Great buck. Congrats!

Comment

Very nice! good character, Congrats bud!

Comment

awesome buck sir, great job

Comment

Nice job

Comment

Congrats man!

Comment

Nice congrats! Love those white horns

Comment

Great buck!

What did you age him at?

Comment

Very nice. Congrats

Comment

Great buck.Congrats

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Awesome deer and sounds like an awesome land owner!!

Comment

Awesome buck and awesome wife.

I have buddies that can't get the OK to take the afternoon off to go golfing and she sent you with 4 kids at home!

Comment

Working...
                              X