No announcement yet.

Deer at Taxidermist Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys wanted to give him the benefit. Nice guy and don’t think any ill intent. Just ready to get it back, but little more time will tell. I reached out to him tonight and he said my deer is on the stand today. Coincidence? I don’t know, but I would guess should be done and ready to pick up by this weekend. So will keep updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
      I reached out to him tonight and he said my deer is on the stand today. Coincidence? I don’t know, but I would guess should be done and ready to pick up by this weekend. So will keep updated.

If it was on the stand today don't expect it this weekend. Any deer mount that I do needs to dry for at least 10 days to 2 weeks or longer and then finish work needs to be completed.

Comment

Thanks guys wanted to give him the benefit. Nice guy and don’t think any ill intent. Just ready to get it back, but little more time will tell. I reached out to him tonight and he said my deer is on the stand today. Coincidence? I don’t know, but I would guess should be done and ready to pick up by this weekend. So will keep updated.

Ask him to text you a couple photos of it.

Comment

Good luck. It would have been better if he told you that on the phone and then you walked through his door

I have a feeling you wouldn't have seen your deer on that stand. Did he tell you it would be ready this weekend or did you assume that part? He's not leaving much drying time if that's the case.

Comment

I've got you beat by a year LOL
            Waiting on my Nov 2016 Buck......

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Your taxi must not be very busy. I get worried if they say it will take maybe 4 months or less. I expect at least 10 to 12 months from the taxi's I use!
              to the contrary - he is busy - he and his wife both do the work and have used them for years - so have others on our lease - does a great job -

Comment

Nov 28, 2017 I dropped off my deer to a new to me taxidermist.
                Initially was told 6-8 months to complete. Around the 8 month mark I had called and spoke and he said it wasn't done. No big deal, as I know not to expect a fast return on taxidermy.

Checked in with him in Nov of 2018 and sent multiple texts and finally got a response on Jan 24th, 2019 and he still had not ordered my form and it would be completed as soon as possible. Hide was already tanned and wouldn't take long for him to finish.

May was the last time I had spoke with him and said it would be done in a couple weeks.

I understand things happen with family and other personal issues happen which may push back work for a 1 man full time taxidermist.

Being on month 19 and still has not started on mine (hide has been tanned). But have been tempted to just go get my hide and horns and take it somewhere else to be completed.

Just seeing if I am the one over reacting or do most taxidermist take over twice as long to complete.

I have the exact same story! I doubt we took it to the same person but its been 19 months and still no deer. I know it doesnt take that long I am just not a priority client so I wont be taking mine back. I took my sons deer to a guy that at least will return your texts or answer the phone...

Comment

I dabble a little in taxidermy. It’s all about customer service. Do not make any hard set dates on when you will have a person’s critter done, and always call them and let them know what’s going on. A lot of guys take on more than they can handle and get way far behind.

Hopefully your deer will turn out ok. I probably would’ve gone and gotten my horns.

I would ask him for a pic of the deer once it’s mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
                    I have the exact same story! I doubt we took it to the same person but its been 19 months and still no deer. I know it doesnt take that long I am just not a priority client so I wont be taking mine back. I took my sons deer to a guy that at least will return your texts or answer the phone...
                    Ya was a little weary about a new taxidermist that I do not know. But, we will see.

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                    I've got you beat by a year LOL
                    Waiting on my Nov 2016 Buck......
                    Haha, I would be going nutzzz. My cousin is still waiting on a bobcat from I think 2015. I believe he is going to be waiting a long time.

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                    I dabble a little in taxidermy. It’s all about customer service. Do not make any hard set dates on when you will have a person’s critter done, and always call them and let them know what’s going on. A lot of guys take on more than they can handle and get way far behind.

Hopefully your deer will turn out ok. I probably would’ve gone and gotten my horns.

I would ask him for a pic of the deer once it’s mounted.
                    Yes getting the horns for sure next time. Never even really knew that was a thing. This isnt a giant, just a sentimental deer as I shot it on my families land. Would hate to loose it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Good luck. It would have been better if he told you that on the phone and then you walked through his door

I have a feeling you wouldn't have seen your deer on that stand. Did he tell you it would be ready this weekend or did you assume that part? He's not leaving much drying time if that's the case.
                      Lol, well its about an hour or a little over an hour from my house. With a newborn kind of hard to get away at the moment or I would. I was just assuming didn't know how long it takes for one to dry. After looking around looks like drying takes between 2-4 weeks. I'll just ask for a picture in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                        If it was on the stand today don't expect it this weekend. Any deer mount that I do needs to dry for at least 10 days to 2 weeks or longer and then finish work needs to be completed.
                        Yea, I assumed it wouldnt take that long to dry. I was wrong for sure, but did ask for pictures.

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                        Ask him to text you a couple photos of it.

I did yesterday no response back.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Well, got the text today that the deer is done and picking up today. May have taken longer than initially told, but glad it worked out for me better than some. Was thinking worst case scenario. Just a little update and couple pictures. As this deer was more sentimental from where it was shot than a giant.

Comment

Working...
                            X