GMC 2500 with 6.0 upgrades for pullingfor pulling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMC 2500 with 6.0 upgrades for pullingfor pulling

I am going to try and increase the HP and torque for my 02 GMC 2500, 6.o gas, automatic. with a 4:10 rear according to vin decoder. I am going to n\be looking as cam, that would help in pullinglooking at cam, Long tube headers, CAI, tune. Put some electric fans on radiator along with adding a large tranny cooler and install mechanical tranny temp gauge. For those that have been down this road, I would like to hear your advice/ suggestion. Up grading to a newer truck is not in the cards as I am not ready to take on a truck payment yet. I am hoping to make it last for a cuple more years if possible. The kid in me would like to go with a cam with some chop oes anyone have a proven upgrades? I need more torque than HP.
    Last edited by brushtrooper; 11-21-2019, 08:22 PM.

The trans temp gauge in the dash works great. If it’s off the sender is bad.
    Kooks headers and y pipe and don’t look back (I’ve got them on my 2001 1500)
    Leave the 4l80 stock, upgrade cooler if anything.
    Get a custom tune done and then consider the cam swap.
    If you are doing a cam swap regardless go back with thinner head gaskets, do the trunion upgrades, have the heads flat milled to get more compression if the cam wants it.

By the time you do all that you may be able to just supercharge or turbo the truck though.

How tall are your tires?
    A gear swap my do wonders for you.

Comment

Why not sell it and swap it for equal year model duramax or maybe a year or 2 newer. Put the cash you are going to spend on these mods toward the Dmax truck.

You cant put enough money in a 6.0 to get it to pull like a duramax and stay together reliably.

Comment

Also you will loose your Torque converter soon if you do these mods to the engine.

Comment

You can pull alot of power out of the LS motor and not deal with all the EPA emissions of diesel.

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
          Why not sell it and swap it for equal year model duramax or maybe a year or 2 newer. Put the cash you are going to spend on these mods toward the Dmax truck.

You cant put enough money in a 6.0 to get it to pull like a duramax and stay together reliably.

Comment

Supercharger or turbocharge?

Comment

Short tube headers should make more torque than long tube.

I'd super charge it 1st, and get the cam and tune to match.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                You can pull alot of power out of the LS motor and not deal with all the EPA emissions of diesel.

Help me understand this statement. Gas vehicle are required to pass an actual emissions test while diesels only get a visual inspection so how is the LS saving hassles and how are you going to pass the emissions test once cammed etc?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Help me understand this statement. Gas vehicle are required to pass an actual emissions test while diesels only get a visual inspection so how is the LS saving hassles and how are you going to pass the emissions test once cammed etc?
                  I was also wondering the same thing? Also considering we would be talking about a 2000-2006 most likely diesel that doesnt have any admissions compared to the 08 and up.. 07.5 or 08 started the EGR and DPF.

Then 2011 started Def.

Now if we where talking a 2011 and newer model then i could understand the Emissions argument.

Comment

Also he may be able to pull alot out of the LS but then he will eat a transmission that will be $2500 plus on top of everything else.

Im just giving you something else to think about. Not trying to argue with anyone just another option.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post

Define a lot.

Without boost you aren’t going to see large gains but you can sure sink a lot of money into it.

The new Explorer ST with the 3.0L ecoboost is getting almost 100hp/160tq to the wheels gain with just a tune and a little E85 Ethanol blended in a tank of premium fuel.

$650 investment in the tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Also he may be able to pull alot out of the LS but then he will eat a transmission that will be $2500 plus on top of everything else.

Im just giving you something else to think about. Not trying to argue with anyone just another option.
                        That truck should have the 4l80e in it. They will hold a lot of power.

That said, OP you are going to be pissing in the wind without boost or more displacement. I had a 6.0l with a Magnacharger on it and while it would run very well, it was no pulling machine.

Save the money to get into a different truck if you want more pulling power.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          There are ways to get around the emissions on the 96 and newer cars. OBDII is on board diagnostics. It saves data and can be manipulated to not show that there is a problem with the emissions system on the vehicle. Custom tuners can basically "turn off" monitors and sensors that would normally cause a check engine light to be on. On 96 and newer cars that are being inspected in an "emissions" county it fails the inspection if the light is on.

Hope all that makes sense.

As far as LS engines go you can get 500++++ out of one with cam and head packages no problem. Would it be ideal for a truck that needs to tow, NO.
                          If you want to stay Naturally aspirated you will probably need more displacement. 408's are everywhere on the internet and can be bought cheap.

Forced induction would just be the easiest and cheapest in most applications to get what the OP wants.

You can buy junkyard LS/LT engines and swap into your truck and get plenty of torque in stock form.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Define a lot.

Without boost you aren’t going to see large gains but you can sure sink a lot of money into it.

The new Explorer ST with the 3.0L ecoboost is getting almost 100hp/160tq to the wheels gain with just a tune and a little E85 Ethanol blended in a tank of premium fuel.

$650 investment in the tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Eco Junk.

Comment

4l80's will hold 600hp all day in stock form. This is not a 4l60 pos

Comment

Working...
                              X