Winchester Legend 350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester Legend 350

Does anyone have an experience with or first hand know of the new Winchester Legend 350 cartridge ?

What have you found to be the best brand and weight bullet?

What kind of grouping can I expect at 100 yds.?

Interesting in using for WT deer and hog. Looking at the Ruger American Hunter model rifle.

My son was able to be there when they tested it originally on hogs and he said it hit hard and was a great round for hogs.

Comment

I have a 350L in an AR platform, accuracy has been good at around 1MOA from the 16in Midway barrel I used. I have not tested it out on game yet.

Comment

About the only reason this cartridge exists is for use in an AR. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but just don't expect performance way above a 30-30.

I's say there are a lot of better cartridge choices if you're looking to buy a new bolt action rifle.

Also, as soon as somebody brings out a round that is about half way between the 350 Legend & the 450 Bushmaster, it'll probably sell like hotcakes. Which could easily make the 350 Legend a has been.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
          About the only reason this cartridge exists is for use in an AR. Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but just don't expect performance way above a 30-30.

I's say there are a lot of better cartridge choices if you're looking to buy a new bolt action rifle.

Also, as soon as somebody brings out a round that is about half way between the 350 Legend & the 450 Bushmaster, it'll probably sell like hotcakes. Which could easily make the 350 Legend a has been.
          I think it was invented for use in states that only allow straight wall cartridges for hunting. Creative marketing and now a bunch of people are snatching them up. If you hunt Texas there’s way better options.

Comment

AR platform cartridge for states with cartridge restrictions. For everyone else, there are better choices in the AR platform. And in other action types it would be on the bottom of my list for a hunting choice. Of course, us gun hobbyists don't always just own what is the most practical...lol..That's why I have a .300 Blackout....

Comment

So AR platform cartridge bypasses the cartridge restrictions?

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                AR platform cartridge for states with cartridge restrictions. For everyone else, there are better choices in the AR platform. And in other action types it would be on the bottom of my list for a hunting choice. Of course, us gun hobbyists don't always just own what is the most practical...lol..That's why I have a .300 Blackout....
                yep. no reason to shoot the .350L unless you have state limits or just want to burn some money on another cartridge. which has often been a perfectly valid excuse for myself.

i'm looking at the .300 HAM'R from Wilson Combat. looks like a pretty bad *** cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Darronral View Post
                  So AR platform cartridge bypasses the cartridge restrictions?

Yes, some states up that used the shotgun/muzzleloader only eased up on some restrictions and started allowing centerfire cartridges for hunting....with the stipulation that they be straight walled. It was an attempt to limit things to older "less powerful"/ pistol cartridges. The 350L fits the straight-walled mandate and basically gives folks a 30-30 to deer hunt with. I have a feeling though that when a bunch of folks start tromping through the woods with a AR though some of those states are going to re-think how they wrote their legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post

There is another new caliber called the 375 SOCOM, that is based off of the 458 SOCOM case, but with a 375 caliber bullet. The 458 SOCOM is just slightly more powerful than the 450 Bushmaster. The 375 SOCOM is supposed to be a pretty interesting round. But still the basic problem is the AR 15 mag length front to rear is just too short to get much of a cartridge in there. If the AR10 prices would come down, then companies come up with new calibers that will work in the AR10, then we would see some better performing rounds.
                    I have on AR chambered for a wildcat round, that is pretty hot, potentially a bit too hot for most AR receivers, but it fits and works. Then I have a 458 SOCOM, it's pretty amazing what can be done now days, mainly because of new powders that are out, but still the short AR 15 mag, is the big limitation, that really limits power and accuracy a lot of the time, because you have to seat the bullets so far into the case, to fit in the magazine.

Comment

375 SOCOM doesn't appear to be straight walled, either.

I'm sure to a cartridge designer, the 'can't miss' rounds right now are something for an AR or a straight wall.

Gosh, if you can make something that is both, home run!

Until the next better version comes out.

Living in a 'straight wall' state, I pay attention to all of them. A bill passed the senate this year to allow us to use them in rifles. That bill stalled in the house. Maybe next year.

But straight wall cartridges are already legal for me (Illinois) in a handgun. It didn't take me too long to understand what an AR pistol amounted to. In my state to use an AR pistol, lower has to have been sold as a 'pistol lower' and barrel length has to be 4" minimum. And you can't put a butt stock on it (that makes it a rifle). Oh & if not a revolver, then single shot.

Gun season starts tomorrow. I'll be out there with my .450 Bushmaster upper, a recently acquired PSA pistol lower and a dummy/zero capacity magazine.

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        There is another new caliber called the 375 SOCOM, that is based off of the 458 SOCOM case, but with a 375 caliber bullet. The 458 SOCOM is just slightly more powerful than the 450 Bushmaster. The 375 SOCOM is supposed to be a pretty interesting round. But still the basic problem is the AR 15 mag length front to rear is just too short to get much of a cartridge in there. If the AR10 prices would come down, then companies come up with new calibers that will work in the AR10, then we would see some better performing rounds.

I have on AR chambered for a wildcat round, that is pretty hot, potentially a bit too hot for most AR receivers, but it fits and works. Then I have a 458 SOCOM, it's pretty amazing what can be done now days, mainly because of new powders that are out, but still the short AR 15 mag, is the big limitation, that really limits power and accuracy a lot of the time, because you have to seat the bullets so far into the case, to fit in the magazine.

I have a 458 Socom and the 375 Socom interests me a lot.

Sucks that you guys up north are restricted to straight wall cartridges.

What is the reasoning behind that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The reason is unreasonable at best

Comment

I drank the kool-aide today! Purchased a Ruger American Hunter- Rancher series with the 16.5" barrel. It is already threaded for suppressor or muzzle break, if desired. Mounted a Leupold 3-9x40 scope on the rifle.
                            Will provide feedback on performance, accuracy, etc.
                            Thanks everyone for all the feed back on your knowledge and experience with the caliber.

Comment

One of the reasons for this caliber is the cartridge design, there are states (part of IL and maybe all of IN) that require muzzleloader, shotgun or straight wall cartridges according to a buddy of mine who retired from Indiana DNR. I met him at the NRA Convention in Indianapolis last May and he said that he had to have one of the Ruger Americans in the 350 Legend for deer hunting as it was legal. Last week he sent me a photo of a really nice 8 point that he killed with the rifle. He loves it and plans to use it for black bear as well.
                              Adios,
                              gary

Comment

Working...
                              X