X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bisch!

Comment

Bisch,
      I live in Boerne and we are covered up in axis. Like you I was very frustrated trying to kill one with my longbow. I lost the first three i shot at and was about to give up on trying to kill a big one with trad gear. I studied the GoPro film i had on all three of those big ones. All three shots were between 14-17 yards. In slow mo i watched as they dropped and backed up to load their back legs. My arrow was dead on the elbow over half way to the buck. The drop and back up resulted in a high, forward shot on all three. None of these shots were fatal. I decided to test my theory on axis spikes. I have now killed three in a row by aiming low and back. I aim below the chest line just in front of the back rib. I swear they drop and back up right into it. At 300fps you might miss your spot by 2 inches. At 170fps which is where I’m at you will miss by a foot. They are fast and always on edge compared to white tails. Slo mo video looks like a scene from the Matrix. Good luck on your next shot. Mike

Comment

They do drop. The same happened to me at Buggscuffle speck1. They sure eat good though once on the ground. Better luck next time Bisch. Arvin

Comment

Go get you another one Bisch sorry you could not come up with him. From his comment it is nice to see that old man Arvin is still kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

This pic looks exactly like the buck I shot. The one I shot was quartered away slightly, and my arrow hit him where the blue arrow is in the pic. Still can’t figure out why he wasn’t dead in short order???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Bisch,

My uncle made the exact same shot on an Axis buck a number of years ago, I might have told you the story before. We did not find the deer.

2 years later the same buck was shot and killed.

My uncles arrow was 1" above the heart and his arrow shaft was still there. The 2 ribs he broke through had fused to the Easton FMJ arrow shaft and the front lobes of the lungs had grown around the shaft. There isn't much lungs where you hit. You literally might have just clipped the lungs.

The eventual "Kill" shot was an 1" above my uncles arrow shaft and clipped one of the ventricles where as my uncles arrow had split the ventricles.

I know this sounds hard to believe and some might think "how do you know it was the same buck or how do you know it was your uncles arrow"

1) It had a tag in it's ear with the #22 on it. The buck was a High fence escapee.

2) At the time we were the only ranch in the area that was bow hunting and my Uncle was the only guy in our group Uppidy enough to afford those expensive Easton FMJ arrows.

In the end I think there is a good chance that buck lives.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
              Bisch,
              I live in Boerne and we are covered up in axis. Like you I was very frustrated trying to kill one with my longbow. I lost the first three i shot at and was about to give up on trying to kill a big one with trad gear. I studied the GoPro film i had on all three of those big ones. All three shots were between 14-17 yards. In slow mo i watched as they dropped and backed up to load their back legs. My arrow was dead on the elbow over half way to the buck. The drop and back up resulted in a high, forward shot on all three. None of these shots were fatal. I decided to test my theory on axis spikes. I have now killed three in a row by aiming low and back. I aim below the chest line just in front of the back rib. I swear they drop and back up right into it. At 300fps you might miss your spot by 2 inches. At 170fps which is where I’m at you will miss by a foot. They are fast and always on edge compared to white tails. Slo mo video looks like a scene from the Matrix. Good luck on your next shot. Mike
              I agree, I go to Fredericksburg area every year with a buddy on a hunting trip and we usually kill 2-3 axis, they're reaction time is insane, I one almost ducked one of my compound shots at 13 yards and I missed my mark by 2'' probably because of the duck and reaction....they're a different kind of deer...very underrated deer when it comes to survival

Comment

Working...
              X