Bastrop co. Personal best bow buck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bastrop co. Personal best bow buck!

Today I shot my nicest whitetail buck ever with a bow. In 20 years of bowhunting, this hunt was the most special. It all started a week and half ago when I saw the weather forecast was showing the biggest cold front of the year was predicted to blow in on Friday. At that point I made arrangements at work to take off Friday and head to the woods. Fast forward to yesterday, as the front was blowing in temps go down to 48 degrees but it was windy as hell and didn’t let up all day. I decided to try and do some spot and stalking in an oak flat and to use the high winds in my favor to cover any noise or hide movement. I was able to stalk a group of does but blew my shot on one at 30 yards because my arrow clipped a limb and I just barely grazed her. Sucked but I wasn’t too bummed because I knew when the wind stopped the hunting was going to be great.. well the wind blew all day and night until 630 this morning it completely stopped. I had been in my tree stand for 30 minutes and it was completely silent. After a few minutes I heard a hog grunt, shortly after, the big boar comes trotting right down a trail in front of me and starts eating acorns at 25 yards. I decided to pass him because I just felt confident the deer were going to move and I didn’t want to disturb my hunt. 3 hours went by without seeing anything, the conditions were perfect and I knew I was going to see something. At 900am I look up and see a young buck walking through the brush 25 yards away. It was a respectable 8 that I was thinking about trying to shoot. About that time I notice more movement behind him. It’s a bachelor group of bucks moving through eating acorns! Just see horns moving all through the bushes so I sit tight and try to remain calm. After about 15 minutes they start to come out of the thicket one at a time, all smaller 6 and 8 points, until the last one stepped out I knew he was a shooter. He stayed out of range at 52 yards for what seemed like forever. They kept inching further away and I didn’t think I was going to get a shot when all of a sudden, they take off in a single file line right to the base of an oak 25 yards in front of me! I sat there frozen until the perfect moment. They all had there heads down at once and started eating acorns while standing perfectly broadside, I drew back and the big one lifted up his head and looked at me, I put the pin right on the pump station and squeezed off and drilled him. He takes off and blood was spraying out of both sides. He runs 35 yards and stops, stands for a second goes down. I literally could not believe what just happened. I called allyssa and put her on FaceTime and videoed the whole “tracking job” I could hardly talk I was so excited. I went to grab my arrow out of the ground where he was standing. It was painted red, and then I followed the red painted trail to where he was laying. What a hunt. One I’ll remember for the rest of my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Nice Deer. Congratulations

Comment

Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

A Beauty!
        Congrats.

Comment

That's a great looking deer. Congratulation on a great accomplishment! Enjoyed your story.

Comment

Great deer!

Comment

Nice buck

Comment

That’s a great looking deer - congrats!

Comment

Very nice, congrats

Comment

Great buck! Congrats

Comment

Heck of a deer!

Comment

Great deer. Congrats
                        Love the way you brought him out

Comment

And an excellent buck at that congrats to you sir!!

Comment

Congratulations on a great deer!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X