Dad's Antelope Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dad's Antelope Hunt

Dad and I were planning to go to our lease in the Hill Country this past weekend to hunt axis. But then a friend of his called him and said that he had an antelope permit that he wanted Dad to have. Dad asked me to come along for the ride, so we changed our plans and I headed north Friday morning to the Panhandle.

It rained a LOT last week up there. We didn't hunt Friday, as it was still raining off and on that day. We met the landowner and a buddy of his Saturday morning and started cruising the ranch. By the way, the temps were in the low 60s. I wore a jacket all morning. It was AWESOME.

Right off the bat we ran into a small herd of antelope with a decent 14"-15" middle age looking buck. We passed on him in hopes of seeing something even bigger older. We drove around a while longer and ran into that same bunch again a little further north, near the fence. The landowner thought Dad ought to go ahead and take the buck, but he drove us right up into the herd. Before Dad could get out and get a shot, the herd ran just over a rise and went across the fence onto the neighbor.

We drove around the rest of the place all morning and saw several other antelope. We saw some really good looking young 14"ers that will be studs in another year or two. We passed on those as well. The landowner had plans for the afternoon, so he had to leave. His buddy stayed with us. We went to town and had lunch, and went back out. We immediately started seeing antelope again. We saw another 14"-15" tempting buck. Pass. Went over the hill and saw a small group of young bucks. Pass.

Then we went around the bend and over another little hill. I saw him laying next to some bear grass about 100 yards ahead and slammed on the brakes. I didn't have to glass him. He was just a big thick mature buck. "There he is! Shoot him!"

Dad got set up with his .257 Weatherby, took one look through the Leupold and said, "Cover your ears, boys." Off went the safety and BOOM!!!

Side note: We chronographed Dad's .257 on Friday evening. I forget which powder he is using, but it was pushing the 100gr Nosler Partitions at 3,740 fps.

I saw what looked like a dent appear in the side of the antelope right at his elbow when the bullet hit him. He stumbled forward a couple steps and spun around and piled up in the bear grass. We drove over to him, and the celebration commenced. He was about as old of an antelope as I think I've ever seen. He was 14" too, but had good mass and character. Probably downhill from where he was last year, actually. Grey hair around the eyes, saggy skin, scars here and there.... His horns showed some battle wear as well. Just a really cool old buck. Very fitting trophy for Dad.

Dad has had lots of health issues over the last few years. He is doing pretty good this summer, for a change. It's always been a huge blessing to be able to hunt with him, ever since I was a kid. I am especially thankful to God for every new hunt we get to share together. Unlike him (and me), it never gets old.

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Comment

Looks like an old warrior ! Congrats to both of you.

Comment

Congrats to you and your dad!

Comment

Awesome! Looks like a great trip.

Comment

Good stuff.

Congrats to your Dad.

Comment

That’s awesome! Congrats to both of you.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats to your dad!

Comment

Awesome story and goat! I’ll always cherish hunts with my pops.

Comment

That’s awesome!! Congratulations!

Comment

That's a great looking Texas Panhandle lope. congrats

Comment

congrats to him

Comment

Huge lope...................

Comment

Good deal, congrats to your dad. That is great that y'all can still get out and hunt together.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X